1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suhr players' advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matt11, Apr 10, 2010.

1. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Montreal
    Hi Fellow Suhr players, hoping you can help me. I have a Classic J (active, 2-band) the tone of which I love--I think of it as vintage 60s J + some extra sizzle when wanted. I bought it for the rich, punchy tone and the super-fast neck (7.25" radius, 1.5" nut). Unfortunately, having tried it for a while, I find that neck is just not comfortable for my biggish hands. So I'm thinking very reluctantly about trading/selling it for something else, and looking for suggestions from you guys as to something similar-sounding, similar nut width, but with a shallower neck radius--say 9.5"-12". I'll have a chance to try some Sadowskys and some Laklands soon, but in-store is so different from in a band setting. Any ideas about basses I should look at with a similar tonal palette really appreciated.

2. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    I think the neck on John's basses are very similar, if not identical, to a 60's Fender. So, if you want something different but still a good J sound, I'd look for something with a more flat FB radius...i.e. Sadowsky, Pensa, etc.

Sorry to hear you're not adjusting to the Suhr. I love the 2 I have and the sound is just unreal. Let me know if you decide to sell...I might be interested.

3. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Montreal
    Agreed, the sound is REALLY hard to beat. I may just hand on to it anyway if I can't find what I'm looking for tonally elsewhere, but if I decide to sell, I'll let you know!

4. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    we offer a 7 day approval period if you purchase directly from us. Plenty to time to try the bass with your band.

Roger

5. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Montreal
    Thanks for the reminder. Sadowsky are first on my list of basses to try in a couple of weeks at Club Bass Toronto.

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    First off, this may be sacrilege. Secondly it may not even be an option as far as pocket-fit or scale length, but would a replacement neck be an option? Maybe a Warmoth or something with a more suitable profile?

Anyway, just a silly, unfounded suggestion.

7. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Montreal
    Thanks. That's an interesting suggestion; I'd be reluctant to mess with the neck though.

8. RoboChrist

RoboChrist Guest

Jul 8, 2009
    I don't think you'll find anything that'll quite compare to that suhr j bass. :oops:

9. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Gold Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Pacific NW
    I went through a love/not so much love thing with the Suhr jazz neck until I started playing it all the time. I still sometimes feel that way after playing my Modulus Jazz neck which I like better. However, I would also be interested if you decide to sell Suhr neck so let me know also. You also might consider calling the Suhr shop as those guy's are really cool and maybe they will make you a neck to your liking and work some kind of deal out for you since you have one of their basses.

10. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Montreal
    I'm sure you guys are right. I am thinking maybe I should just try playing the Suhr exclusively for a bit and see what happens.