1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suier Jame Johnston vs Squier Classic Vibe Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BulbousMoses, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Other than the color and the tug bar on the CV, are there any other differences between these two basses?

2. And apparently I'm drunk and unable to type...

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Based on the specs on the Fender website, the only non cosmetic difference is the CV has a 4-Saddle HiMass bridge with Brass Barrel Saddles and the James Johnston has a 4-Saddle HiMass bridge without brass barrel saddles.

Edit: I guess there are no non-cosmetic differences. Unless brass barrel saddles function differently than non-brass barrel saddles.

4. Thanks. I'm not really a James Johnston fan but I do like the Lake Placid blue and matching headstock...nice look.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I agree. It certainly ain't ugly.
    86ceb3c861ac3d7b0737b2ccde488ca3.
    86ceb3c861ac3d7b0737b2ccde488ca3.

6. They both have brass saddles in the pics. I guess Fender just left that fact out of the JJ specs?

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Seems that way. Same materials, dimensions, finish, pickups and price.

8. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    CV comes with thin vintage frets, if youre into that. Looks like normal frets on JJ.

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    According to the Fender website they both have vintage frets.

10. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I used to have a JJ before. It had brass saddles. Back then it was about 25% more than the regular CV Jazz. Decent bass if you are on a budget. They (I have played several) have more pronounced G string dead spots than any MIJ or MIA Jazz that I have tried but some MIM have been as bad. I like the sound of the P/U - not bad at all!

11. boamedt

boamedt Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    i had played that james johnston bass in a local music store and it was fantastic. i did not know who we was, still dont care, or what bass i was playing but it felt great and sounded great. That bass has always been stuck in my mind since i played it. afterward i went home and figured ot what it was. i would buy one in a heartbeat

12. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    It sounds really good with fresh strings, except for dead spots. The P/U are perfect for noodling at home, too, as they sound very "open" and "detailed", IMHO.

13. At the risk of sounding terribly naïve, is there anything that you can do to fix dead spots on a neck?

14. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
  15. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I tried a bit with a C-clamp and it did exactly what the fatfinger is claimed to do. The dead spots moved down in frequency a couple of steps and became less severe.

16. What about PLEK'ing the fretboard?