1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

suitability of capacitors

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Joshwa556, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Joshwa556

Joshwa556

Oct 11, 2013
    hi
    i am kinda new to forms in fact this is my first post ever.
    i am currently in the process of fixing up a 1987 p bass that was sorta messed up i have every thing i need for the electronics apart from the capacitor reading i have worked out that i need a 0.033uf as it will make the tone brighter than a 0.047uf and i know i want a polyester cap.
    my question is what type make voltage do i need i have found these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-033uF-4...ioTelevision_Telephony_SM&hash=item19dbffdf12 but dont know if they are the right type sugestions/links welcomed
    thanks
    josh

2. The voltage and composition make no difference in this application, as long as you choose something non-polarized.

3. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    I also use a .033 as a tone cap for the same reasons on all my basses. As set forth above, the type of capacitor does not matter, and since a guitar pickup puts out a signal measured in millivolts, not volts, it doesn't need to have a large voltage rating, because that will make the physical dimensions of the capacitor too large to fit in the cavity.

As far as particular brands, reputation for consistency outweighs everything but price. I do prefer Sprague orange drops, because they are relatively inexpensive and consistent.

Although before Radio Shack discontinued a lot of their stock, I have used inexpensive 99-cent Radio Shack capacitors, especially a small ceramic disc .01 to put inline to the bridge pickup of a Jazz bass in order to alleviate the volume drop when both pickups are full on.