1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suitable Basses for metal band situation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maniacmetalhead, Jun 4, 2007.

1. maniacmetalhead

maniacmetalhead

Jun 4, 2007
    I'm sorry if this has been discussed in another thread,but I really need your opinion on this.I play in a death/thrash metal band and I need a bass that can cut through.I love doing fills and stuff and I'm into playing more complex stuff the the average metal bass player.What do you suggest?

2. Warwicks are great for metal. They cut through heavy guitars like nobody's business. If I do anything metal, it's on my 'wick.

3. davedamage

davedamage Hit string, go boom.

Oct 16, 2006
    Milwaukee area
    +1 for the warwick. i have a couple of stingrays i used for other bands, but for the post-hardcore band, it's the warwick all the time.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Stingray...very fast neck, cuts through, sounds amazing.

I've played a bunch of Warwicks and I just can't get down on them. The neck is too slow. Maybe it's just the type of wood, but I feel like I get hung up on them all the time. I don't mind the baseball bat profile as much as most people though.

5. For an inexpensive bass I would look at Dean. Here are some pictures of a Metalman V bass with active humbuckers, and a 2 band equalizer. The bass ROCKS for metal. It cuts like nobodys business and is a joy to play. The electronics do have a bit of hiss, so I wouldn't want to record with it, but for a stage bass it's hard to beat for the money!!
    DSC_0564.gif
    DSC_0563.gif
    DSC_0220.gif
    DSC_0221.gif

6. Spector: kills metal dead. :smug:

7. Ibanez55

Ibanez55

Jul 20, 2006
    Mass
    Warwick and Ibanez

8. They're about as in-your-face and metallic as you can get.

9. brisonic

brisonic

Jan 1, 2006
    san diego
    The warwick is a great metal bass soundwise, but the look, well not so much. I'd look at a Bongo/Carvin or another bass with a piezo if you want to cut through.

10. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
  11. All I can say is my Rickenbacker 4003 cuts through like nobodies business. Combine that with a SVP-Pro a 4x10 and 1x18 and youll have the metaliest sound you could dream of. But of course everyone is biased towards their own gear right? haha. But seriously, the Rick far exceeded my expectations for a great metal tone.

12. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    :eek: Where can I buy a 4x18?!

13. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    If I had a dollar for every time one of these threads had started...

Use the search function, there are loads of threads asking the same question and everyone says Warwick, Musicman, Spector, and P-basses.

14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    According to search function, you would have 400 dollars...

Showing results 1 to 15 of 400
    Search took 0.25 seconds.

:D

15. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    :) Thank's for doing the math kserg!

16. I started this thread with basically the same question as you, check it out, it has some really good advice ;)

17. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Warwick for sure, I enjoy my Corvette.

Ibanez makes some decent basses that fit well in a metal context... I really want one of the new reissue iceman basses.

Fender P or J. I tend to like both P and J pickups centered.

My Aria Pro II XRB-2a sits pretty awesome in a metal mix.

Peace

-Benny

18. Ah good god a 4x18 would be massive, i meant 4x10 and i fixed the problem.

19. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    i used a WW corvette jazzman for my metal band and that was the badgers nadgers, highly recommended.

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Squier jazz bass.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021