1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Suitable Power Amp For Bass Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rickstrong, Feb 19, 2017.

1. rickstrong

rickstrong Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2004
    New York City
    Greetings All,

Several years ago I used to play through a rack containing my trusty Alembic F-2B pre and a Crown DC-300. Aside from the weight (hey, at least it didn't weigh as much as an SVT!) it was the cat's meow for me. Fast forward to the present; I'm using a Walter Woods head (1100 watts) instead and spending less at the chiropractor's office, and I love it. But I do miss the Alembic/Crown sound, and I'm thinking of recreating a light weight version of my old rig with the F-2B and one of the current class-d power amps; it would generally be driving a pair of Acme Low-B2s. I've been looking at the Crown SLX series, either the 1502 or the 2502, but I haven't been in the market for a while and I'm under-informed on this stuff. Right now I'm trying to figure out if the 1502 is powerful enough, and whether the 2502 would be ridiculous overkill. Also, whether there might be better choices for class-d bass goodness.

Thoughts?

2. Your Acme cabinets are rated at 350W apiece. Are they 4 or 8Ω? Carvin make some really nice Class D power amps at a reasonable price. In my amp I use an HD2000 which puts up to 500W into each of my cabinets. I put one 4Ω cabinet on each channel. As the amp is safe with 2Ω loads I could run all four of my boxes.

Edit: I stack mine as a vertical 4x10. :)

3. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I love my Crest Prolite 3.0. Enough power per ch. At 8 ohms, but goes as low as 2. Light weight, nice price.

boamedt and Goatrope like this.
  4. We all have our favourites. Crest, QSC, Crown, among others, all make superior Class D light weight power amps. I chose Carvin cos I was familiar with their products.

Bob Lee (QSC) and funkinbottom like this.
  5. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    I have a Carvin HD also. It's a beast of a power amp. And very versatile, as @BassmanPaul said above. You can run a 4 or 8 ohm load bridged, and down to 2 ohm load, each channel in stereo mode. I love mine. Put your favorite preamp in front of it and nothing but goodness.
    On sale now for $299 (no affiliation)

OUTPUT POWER
    1 CHANNEL RMS continuous
    - 8 ohms: 500 watts
    - 4 ohms: 750 watts
    - 2 ohms: 1200 watts
    BOTH CH RMS continuous
    - 8 ohms: 340/340watts
    - 4 ohms: 550/550 watts
    - 2 ohms: 1100/1100 watts
    BRIDGED RMS continuous
    - 8 ohms bridged: 1100 watts
    - 4 ohms bridged: 2200 watts

6. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I use the Crown XLS 1500. I prefer it over the comparable QSC as it seemed to my ear to have a lower noise floor.

7. I use the crown xls 1500 with a sans amp RBI as a pre amp. Sounds good and it's light weight. Want to say the xls1500 was only around $300. One funky thing about it is you have to have a special speakon cable setup to run it in bridged mode. But you can make one easily by just buying a 4 connector speakon cable end. Or you can go on eBay and search SVT4 bridging cable because the power amp in the svt4 uses the same speakon setup to run bridged . It's done the job for me the last two years. And it's incrediblly clean and powerful considering the cost and it weighing less than ten pounds.

IMG_1825.JPG IMG_1863.JPG

8. rickstrong

Mar 22, 2004
    New York City
    Thanks all, for the information and counseling. Both of my Low-2Bs are 8 ohms, sometimes I use one (jazz gigs) and sometimes two for louder work. I'm also planning on at least 1 of Acme's Low-B1 cabs for less demanding duo/trio performances, but I'd probably use the Woods for them.

I wasn't aware of the Carvin - looks great on paper and from reports, and I'm really happy to see it's made here. I'm hoping to fit all the electronics into a shallow rack; I see the Carvin is 10.5" deep, which is probably right up to the limit but will still probably fit into one of the newer SKB shallow roto racks. One of the attractive things about the Crown is that it's only 7.7" deep.

It looks like I have a number of excellent choices to work with. Thanks again!

9. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Demeter has a 1U 2x800 watt power amp called the HB-1600D. It's not inexpensive, but it is intriguing.
    H-Bass 1600D

10. rickstrong

Mar 22, 2004
    New York City
    That looks really nice -the power and the form factor are just right. As you say, not cheap, but very interesting!