Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suitable Strings for a Long-Scale Fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RunngDog, Oct 25, 2004.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I've just picked up a Roscoe LG-3005 fretless and need to get a new set of strings. The scale on the bass is 35" and the longest string (A) needs to be at least 44" long to extend from bridge to tuner (42") with room left for winding. I'd like something with more brightness than typical flats, but not as bright as stainless rounds. I also like a lot of clarity and sustain -- which again makes me lean toward rounds or half-wounds. Among the strings I'm considering are:

TI Superalloys
    DR Sunbeams
    SIT Silencers
    TI Jazz Flats
    Labella Black Tapewound

Thoughts on any of these? Are any / all unavailable in the length I need. I wrote the DR people about the string lengths on the Sunbeams and they wrote back "Sorry our bass strings are only wound out to 37 3/4". We do not make such a
    long string."

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    "Winding length" is the distance from the ball end to the point where the windings start tapering down at the tuner end; it is not the overall length of the string. What you need is a winding length that will reach from where the ball end locks in at the end of the bridge to the nut, not necessarily all the way to the tuner.

I've got a Modulus Quantum 6 with a Kahler bridge; this bridge's design puts quite a bit of string behind the saddle, so a lot of typical strings don't work on it. It's a 35" scale, but it requires a winding length of almost 37". DR's work fine on it.

Status is also making strings that are extra long. I just got a set of flatwounds from them for the Q6; they're the only company I could find that made a flatwound set for 6 string that was long enough. Quality seems top notch, but I haven't put much playing time on them yet. They also make other typical varieties of bass strings - rounds, half-rounds, nickle, etc. You can order them directly from their website - http://www.status-graphite.com . Shipping time wasn't too bad at all - about two weeks from the UK to Houston, TX. I'll be trying out some half rounds from them next.

3. I would go for Thomastik Infeld Jazz Bass Flats. They make them in extra-long scale.

I have a 36" scale and the flats I once had on were so aweful that I stripped them off after a week. I don't know what the deal is in getting a nice set in extra-long scale. But Thomastics are expensive but the quality is a a given so you can buy them blindly.

http://www.juststrings.com/toi-jf364.html

4. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    By the way, I noticed you say you've got a Dingwall there..............I ran across these strings and just got 'em for my AB1....they're DR Hi Beams in a special extended scale set. They're long enough for the Dingwall B string, and they sound great on the bass. Pretty bright, as DR Hi Beams tend to be - Don't know if that's what you prefer on your Dingwall, but I thought you may want to give them a try. Not a lot of string options out there for us Dingwall guys, so I thought I'd let you know.....

http://www.juststrings.com/drs-lmr-45-125.html