Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

suitcase for gigs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sunnpeg, May 28, 2002.

1. I've been gigging for twenty years and I still have not come up with a good way to transport all my stuff: cords, tuner, microphone, emergency drum sticks (yes it happened once) straps and misc gadgets. For the past few years I've used suitcases bought from goodwill. Any suggestions?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I use a large gym bag, with lots of compartments.

3. I personally use a small dufflebag, but my older brother uses an Anvil-like case that his dad picked up where he works(a machine part of some kind was in it) and brought it home....

4. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    what's wrong with a suitcase from Goodwill?

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    'Zactly what I'm using... $1.25 at the Goodwill!!

-robert

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have a white plastic bin that's about the size of a shoebox. Hold strings, tuners, a Chorus pedal I never use, picks I never use, a Leatherman multitool (a MUST), and then the instrument cables go in the gig bags, with the amp cables coiled on top of the amp en transit.

When I build myself a rack here in a few weeks, I'm gonna build in a little shelf to keep it all in, so I only have one thing to carry...

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Lands' End soft briefcase. Plenty of pockets inside for mics, stomp boxes, tool kits, cords and doodads. Pocket outside for set lists and manuals.

8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    To haul my cables, mics, picks and assorted tools, I have been using a gym bag that I got for free when I bought my cologne.

To haul my Peavey Firebass II head, I use a 12-dollar suitcase that my girlfriend bought me when we went to Florida a few summers ago (I was amazed to find that it's just exactly the right size to accomodate my Peavey).

To haul all of the above and my 6x10 and 1x15, a 1987 Dodge Ram van, with a 3-speed manual tranny and a fire-breathing inline 6-cylinder powerhouse!

:D

9. Suitcases have done the job for quite a while, but I go through one every three years or so. They just don't last very long with my abuse. I like the idea of the pockets in the soft briefcase. Maybe my stuff would be............... organized!?

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I use a laptop computer case I got for free (with rebate) from Staples.

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i use a black bag that i believe was designed as a very small tote for womens makeup and lingerie - little stuff like that. it's way too small for any woman i know traveling for more than an hour, so it was marked down to like 10 bucks. heavy HEAVY canvas. it has a ton of clear plastic compartments that hold my tools, polishing supplies, a zippered pouch holds my polishing cloths, the main compartment holds my spare strings, my tuner, my compressor if i feel like taking it out of the rack, cords if i feel like it, and then the back zippered pouch holds a spare speaker cable, my earplugs, and some other random junk.

the best part is that it has a shoulder strap and is approx 9" tall, 12" long, and when packed about 5" deep.

one of the great wal-mart scores of my life :)

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Most of my big crap fits in a six space SKB, and I'm looking at buying a pedalboard for the rest of it.

13. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    jansport back pack. Stick cables, music [varies], drum sticks, strings in the main compartment, then in the smaller ones: string cutters, peg winder, screw drivers then ear plugs. thats about all i take. The pack back has served me well. thats all

14. Another vote for a laptop bag. I was supposed to get a laptop for university, but decided on a desktop because I am living on campus. So the laptop bag ended up being renamed the bass bag.

later

15. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    A "Jeep" duffle bag has served me well for about 5 years. The big compartment holds cables, three folding guitar stands and sheet music (ok....tablature:p ). Small end pouches have extra strings, tubes and tools.

16. When I bought my P-bass from Musicians Friend they also gave me a free fender bag. Has a shoulder strap and many compartments for my tuner pedal, straps, sheet music, cords, batteries, tools and anything else I would need.

jtbp

17. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have a hard plastic, waterproof case that I bought for my camera bodies when I used to freelance as a photojournalist when I was in college.

I removed all the block foam and now use it for utilities.

It's about 24x16 or so and about 8 inches deep. Probably overkill, but it is the one case that I can use for a door stop, amp prop, self-defense weapon or whatever and not worry about the contents getting damaged.

Another photographer/guitarist I know uses one of those round cases for a huge telephoto lense as a gear box. It is long enough to hold a conventional-type guitar stand (disassembled) and has plenty of room for the other stuff. Plus is has a shoulder strap. It would be kinda pricey to buy one new, but if you run accross one in at a flea market or thrift store, they are very cool for that application.

Chas

18. P-SHAW!!!

I use a tackle box for all that random crap that isn't my bass or my cabinet, my amp and stuff live in a SKB case, and everything along with my band mates gears plus PA plus a few roadiese goes into the 1987 Ford Clubwagon, 15 passenger, 445 cubic inch diesel beast named Gertie. I'm still looking forward to the day when I get to put her 4 ton towing capacity to work.