Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sukop

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trainyourhuman, Sep 21, 2001.

1. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    ANyone got any opinions about Sukop basses? They look prett sweet. Kinda thinking about dumping the Modulus and picking up a Sukop...

2. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    My experience was limited solely to trying a used one out in a music store.

They had to take it away from me because I was drooling all over it.

3. I played a Sukop 4-string at Rudy's on 48th Street in NYC about three weeks ago. One of the best, if not THE best, bass I've ever played. If you have the $$$, it's a no-brainer, IMHO.

4. Never touched one in my life, unfortunately.
    But I saw and HEARD a fretless 5-string (top of the line I think) played by a good fellow bassist.
    Really nice.
    IMO headstock style is a little weird.

5. Played one at Rudy's in NYC.

Looks great, plays great, sounds good but not to die for. They had a used Ken Smith 4 string which I sounded better to my ears.

6. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Are you sure that wasn't a 7-string Surine on Ebay? I saw it too - beautiful bass, had me drooling, but it was too expensive.

7. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    The one I am looking at is here

gguitars.com

I really hope that things work out. Thanks for the opinions. Keep em coming.

8. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    That's one beautiful bass. The bottom line is if you want to be really sure, you really need to go and play one. Get a feel for the neck, the tone, the weight, the balance. For a high-end bass like this, you want to be really sure.

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I too, played one @ Rudy's! This was about 4 years ago. They had a Warwick Streamer Stage2 and a Ken Smith that I liked better sonically. It's a great bass though. I saw an R&B live not too long ago, her bassist played a Sukop 6. Sounded sweet.

10. BMGecko

BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Just played one today at Guitar Vista in Albuquerque. A used 5 string fretless... Wish I'd have had a spare 2.8k lying around!