"Sultans of Swing" isolated guitar track

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ElectroVibe, Apr 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Has anyone else listened to this track from Mark Knopfler? I am wondering, do you think that he played the lead and rhythm in one track? It sounds like he is switching from lead to rhythm sometimes. But I can't tell if it was all done in one take or if it was spliced from two takes. But it's possible that it was one take since he plays with his fingers rather than using a pick.

What do you think?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Sounds like two parts on one track to me.

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  3. Sounds like one track to me, possibly in one take. It also sounds really damn cool. Thanks for sharing!

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

finger-picking allows him to attack the strings in three or four locations almost simultaneously
    he's a true master of finger-picking

seang15 and lostreality like this.
  5. Sounds like the licks are "punched in" tastefully through the rhythm take. They're both Mark, but two different tracks.

Jeff Scott, Stumbo and ddnidd1 like this.
  6. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    You don't think it's possible that it was one take? Why would he go to the trouble of making it sound like that, I wonder. It's almost like saying that he tried to fool people.

7. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    In this video he has a rhythm guitarist, but it definitely shows him switching between lead and rhythm himself.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    If any of you have had a chance to see him play live, you have to do it. You love metal? Suck it up - this man is a talent beyond and plays guitar with his soul.

seang15, Jeff Scott and jallenbass like this.
  9. I feel like the audio gives hints as to why. There's a chance he's using extremely heavy compression and the onset of background noise I hear rushing in at each break is just follow up gain, but to me it sounds like the licks were punched in.

Luke19Boarder likes this.
  10. Man. You can't help yourself. Yes. People that like metal ONLY like metal and nothing else and aren't deep enough to appreciate anything else. Thank Jeebus we have you to direct and edumacate us.

11. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    oh, you're right - I've never been told that the only great guitar players are metal ones. Never. Ever.

12. There's no question he's an insanely capable player and he's one of my favorite guitarists. Is he capable of playing rhythm and lead simultaneously at times? Yes. I just don't think he's doing it in what we're hearing.

ElectroVibe likes this.
  13. How about waiting for it to happen first instead of coming off like a bitter old tool?

14. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    but... I *am* a bitter old tool!

15. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Okay, I do hear some overlap.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    Definitely pieced together.

17. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    It seems obviously that to my ears. I'm not sure why we have to assume that is one track and not just two of the 40 or so put together. The rhythm is stereo image and the lead is up the middle

Luke19Boarder likes this.
  18. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I do. My fave is Titanium, light yet strong.
    I dig a lot of different woods as well.
    :smug:

19. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Regardless of the fact that he can interchange between rhythm and lead, on the recording it is two different tracks.

If you listen closely, in a few instances the tail end of the rhythm track sustains over the beginning of the lead track.

The panning of the sound left/right with lead in the middle is not an issue. This could easily be accomplished during the mixing, IF it was a single track which it is not.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  20. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    of course you could do it. you can do anything in a digital studio you can think of. Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill, why? You have a zillion dollar studio and Mark Knopfler is in the booth. Just let him run another track. He'll do it better and quicker than the engineer will setting up that scene. That's two track, as stated, you can hear them over lap.