Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sum 41's "Chuck"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Vince S., Oct 12, 2004.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Today, I went out and bought the new Sum 41 album, "Chuck". I am EXTREMELY IMPRESSED by these guys. Their work has improved immensely, and their music has matured quite a bit. The title of the album is named for Chuck Pelletier, an U.N. worker that rescued the band when they were caught in a firefight while filming a documentary in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

First, this album is nothing like their previous records. "All Killer No Filler" was a very upbeat, pop-punk album, while "Does This Look Infected" was heavier edged but still retained a pop-punk identity. "Chuck" is a metal-inspired hard rock album, and while DTLI had a very polished, processed sound to it, "Chuck" is very much raw. And, unlike DTLI and most of AKNF, the bass cuts through pretty well in this record. While at times the two distorted electric guitars can muffle out the bass, it cuts through well most of the time and has a very punchy, mid-range P-bass tone. Also, Cone seems to be experimenting more with his playing; instead of following the guitars, he breaks away on a couple of songs and has some entertaining basslines. Dave Baksh is a very underrated guitarist; his work on this album is phenomenal. The drums work very well, and Derek Whibley's caustic, high pitched shrieking vocals fit nicely, though his screaming can be toned down a little on some songs, IMO. However, his singing on some of the slower songs ("Some Say", "Slipping Away" and "Pieces") is rather good.

Some songs that really stand out are "Some Say", "The Bitter End", I'm Not the One", "Pieces" and "88". That said, all the songs were very well done; no fillers in this album. There is a definite metal influence on this album, which is very noticeable on "The Bitter End", which reminded me of some "Master of Puppets" era Metallica work.

In short, this is a great album. Its a drastic improvement over their past work, and their best record to date IMO. If you don't like Sum 41, and think of them as the typical pop-punk band from the "All Killer No Filler" days, I suggest giving them a second chance.

Vince

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ...By George, the boy's right. This is so weird. In a good way.

3. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    I know, I can't believe I'm actually going out of my way to listen to a Sum 41 CD. It's not bad at all.

4. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I have a few things to say after listening to "The Bitter End"

-WOW! This is about 1,000,000 times better than any Sum 41 I've ever heard before...

-AFAIK Dave is the best guitarist in pop-punk history

-Some parts of that song remind me of "...And Justice For All", "Blackened" and "Master Of Puppets" by Metallica; always a good thing!

-It's heavy and good, but still catchy.

Overall, I'm liking it (I never expected to like a Sum 41 song!) :bassist:

5. Mellem

Mellem

Feb 1, 2002
    Greenville, MI
    I guess if you can GUARANTEE that the rest of the cd is better than that sound clip they play on Mtv after every show as "the leak", maybe I'll steal it on Limewire, and then maybe I'll buy it.