Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Summer bass project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alowishus, May 24, 2005.

1. Alowishus

Alowishus

Feb 28, 2005
    Since Im not going anywhere this summer and I only have a part time job, I was thinking about buying this SX: http://www.rondomusic.net/vjb62ct.html and defretting it (jaco style with marine epoxy :) ) and changing up the electronics with bartolinis as a summer project. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Go for it! I'd buy an extra neck from Rondo while you're at it for $40 just in case you botch the epoxying. I hear it's not the easiest thing in the world to do.

3. why not just buy a fretless essex?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Satisfaction of doing it yourself, choice of fretlines instead of plastic and epoxy.

5. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    If I got an SX, changed the pickups, got a new pre-amp and defretted it, would it sound like a really cheap instrument or would it actually sound great? would it be better to do this to a MIM fender? Any suggestions would be grealt appreiciated.

~JB~

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The bass will only sound as good as the pieces of wood it's made out of. If you get a nice, resonant bass with crappy electronics, replace them and you have a good bass. If the bass sounds like poo unplugged, adding fancy electronics won't help much.

SX and MIM Fenders run about the same in QC. I'd risk the money on an SX over a MIM, unless you can play the MIM first to be sure it's resonant.

7. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    when playing unplugged what should i look for?

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just notes that ring out, that sustain and don't go dead.

9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i just threw bartonlini 9j's in my fretless MIM fender jazz and it sounds awesome. i would really recommend them to you. THey make the bass sound so much warmer and give it more beef.

10. Interesting that you say that, I am really impressed with the unplugged sound of my Yammy RBX-170. Punchy with a good amount of "zing". Plugged in...even better...

Yes, cheap basses CAN sound good.

11. Alowishus

Alowishus

Feb 28, 2005
    Reason im doing this is because I was pleased with my sx 5 string jazz copy, and I had a blast modding the electronics. Now I want to move on to a bigger, slightly tougher project. Markjazzbassist, how are those 9js with harmonics?

12. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    the harmonics have more clarity and a little more output, but i also installed a BAII bridge and that might have something to do with it. The pickups give a great passive tone. I really love them!!

13. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    markjb, do you have any clips of your barts in action? Doy ou know of any clips?

Thanks,
    ~JB~

14. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    alright i have two very rough takes. One is with the neck pickup off making Jaco tone. The other one is of harmonics and then me playing it with both pickup volume's and the tone all the way up. I plugged directly into my computer from my bass. The tracks are a little rough.

How do i put the tracks on here?

15. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    please answer the man im dying to hear the clips! haha

16. Alowishus

Alowishus

Feb 28, 2005
    Email the clips to me :) jparkin94@yahoo.com. please dont leave me in suspense. Also, did you slot the saddles on your badass bridge? I heard its optional and I dont really have the tools to do it.

17. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
  18. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i am sending you both the sound files, they are about 5MB a piece just to let you know.

The BAII Bridge i did file because if you slap or pluck decently hard the strings will move. The only tools i used are a triangular file and a circular file which my dad had in an old tool box. It is really easy to do. Just place the strings on the bridge the distance apart you want them and measure and then file a groove there with the triangular file and then smooth it out with the circular file. It doesn't have to be that deep it just has to be deep enough that the string will not pop out(about 1/3 of the strong should be in ).

19. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    let me know how you guys feel about the tone and sound

20. Alowishus

Alowishus

Feb 28, 2005
    im in school now, and yahoo is blocked so I have to wait until I get home :bawl: . Cant wait to get home to have a listen.