Summer Build Off 2022 - Get Ready!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Beej, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Hello fellow Swarf Rats! :woot:

It's now been over two weeks since we wrapped up the 2022 Winter Build Off, and so I thought it might be time to start talking about doing it again. :D Winter Build Off 2022 - Renewal/Rebirth

I'm still not Scoops, but I'll do my best to keep this on the path previously carved in other Build Offs here in the Luthier's Corner. This time 'round it will be a Summer shindig from June to September.

I'll again go into a little history in another post, but for now, let's talk Build Off! :bassist:

Event: Summer Build Off 2022
    Dates: 1600h PST (UTC -8) Tuesday, June 21, 2022 to 1600h PST (UTC -8) Wednesday, September 21, 2022
    Theme: Super Magic Happy Fun Time Free For All

For this Summer's Build Off, I suggest we go along the lines of the 2020 Spring Fling, and make this a Super Magic Happy Fun Time Free For All! No Rules Baby!!!!

No rules, except for several rules, please see below. :bookworm:

Like the Winter Build Off 2022, this Build Off is open to all comers and divided into categories, but this time there are four:
    1. Scratch Build - body and neck newly built from scratch.
    2. Partial Build - body or neck newly built from scratch (contains some scratch built parts and pieces but may also contain pre-built body or neck from manufacturers)
    3. Assembly Build - all components are off the shelf or customized pieces
    4. Non-Bass Build - scratch or partial musical instrument build that is not primarily a bass register instrument

The point of this early post is to give everyone time to prepare for the start of the build on June 21. Everyone may prepare and gather parts/pieces, scratch builders may begin dimensioning their lumber in preparation for the build.

RULES:
    • All entrants must declare their entry after the Build Off is officially started on June 21, by posting a build thread in which to showcase their build.
    • Each build thread must start with a "pile of wood/parts" pic. The pic must include a written phrase that will be announced in the Build Off start thread on June 21.
    • Multiple entries in the same or different categories is permitted (and encouraged! :woot: )
    • Entrants can enter anytime before the build off end date (in other words, late entries are permitted).
    • Entrants must indicate which type of build they are doing in their build thread.
    • Scratch Builds must be built from scratch from dimensioned lumber.
      • Dimensioned lumber includes: Billets, 1-pce neck blanks, matched tops, stringers, thin laminates, veneers, fingerboards, pre-slotted/radiused fretboards, etc.
      • Scratch builds must not have any components glued up or cut out prior to the start. Built components must have their build process pictorially included in the entry thread.
      • Minimum diameter for lowest pitch string is 0.084".
    • Partial Builds must identify all components used and explain what is built and what is bought.
      • All built parts must have their build process pictorially included in the entry thread.
    • Assembly Builds must identify all components used.
      • All modified parts used must have their modification process pictorially included in the entry thread.
    • Non-Bass Builds includes musical instrument builds that would be excluded from the bass Build Off categories.
      • Examples include: guitar, shamisen, lute, mandolin, other non-bass instrument builds, or bass-related builds that do not have fat strings (as per the 0.084" minimum lowest string thickness rule), etc.
      • Instruments may be stringed or use other means to generate sound but must be capable of doing so.
    Any questions may be posted here or PM me.

Please feel free to discuss the build off here; there will be a separate announcement thread on June 21 that will officially start the build off.

So what say ye Rats? Who wants to bury themselves in swarf? :woot:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    Lo-E, koobie, AudioTaper and 12 others like this.
  2. The Swarf Rats could be a band name.

3. Seriously though, it's interesting to have a Non Bass category. I may enter a Non Bass build. For a while I've had these ideas in my head for a four string mandola. This could be the perfect opportunity for me to build my first mandola.

Besides, I now have six bass guitars. That's plenty, isn't it? :wideyed: :laugh:

4. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    Now I'm expecting somebody to build an ocarina.

5. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Desert, Colorado
    I unloaded 4. Am I bass deficient?

6. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Desert, Colorado
    It’s to bad the “hippie free love” theme isn’t the winter BO. Not sure I can get turned around by June. You all are killing me!

RichterScale and Beej like this.
  7. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Ah yes, I think it comes down to tough questions. Like, do I want my builds to revolve around my life, or my life to revolve around my builds? :smug:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  8. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Right? The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to see this open up and receive votes. Maybe the weirdness will come... :woot:

Bent77 likes this.
  9. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Desert, Colorado
    4 kids, a wife, 5 geriatric relatives, and a non-profit event to organize. I’m not sure which way is up at this point

:roflmao:

instrumentalist and Beej like this.
  10. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Here's a question I'd like to hear some opinions on...

Should the Summer Build Off include a "Finish That Stalled Build" category?

Right now they can fit into the categories that exist under Partial or Assembly, but there's something about making a specific category for this to encourage completion of a lump sitting in the corner of someone's workshop. :D Either a completion of your own stalled build or the completion of another builder's work that didn't get to the end for some reason. Thoughts?

Lo-E, Crawforde, Rôckhewer and 7 others like this.
  11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

i think it's great when "the pressure is on".....................others! :laugh:

Haroldo, ctmullins, Reedt2000 and 2 others like this.
  12. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Well, there's plenty of room for another sweet modified Glarry build this summer. :D No pressure though. :smug:

JRA likes this.
  13. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    I like this idea. It allows people who entered earlier buildoffs and DNF to have a chance to get some recognition.

Lo-E, JRA and Beej like this.
  14. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Exactly... I think that was one of the main motivators for it's inclusion in the Spring Fling 2020 and there were a few submissions including one of mine. :smug:

dwizum likes this.
  15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

:wideyed:

well now: i actually have some energy in me to assemble a fretless 8-string --- so maybe! --- if i can think it through fast enough...but in any event, thanks for calling the pot "kettle black!" :laugh:

you and your luthier crew/mates are the best, beej! :thumbsup: LC is TB's "safe place!" ;)

16. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    No.
    1: it's not fair to enter a build that's 90% done.
    2: if you failed at making the last deadline, exclusion and shame is your only path to atonement.

17. Sushi Box FX

Sushi Box FX Supporting Member Commercial User

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    Me: "Damn, I don't think I'll have enough free time this summer to offer prizes for this build off."

Also me: "I should build a bass and enter this build off."

Lo-E, AudioTaper, Crawforde and 12 others like this.
  18. That will give me a great excuse to delay finishing my WBO project until the SBO!

I agree with your intent, but I think having a separate category is actually fairer in that regard. If the 90% complete projects are in their own category then they aren't competing against new projects in the Partial or Assembly categories.

Lo-E, George Dennis, Beej and 2 others like this.
  19. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    Fine, but there should still at least be public lashing, 50 pushups, clean a toilet, something. Simply let off the hook for utter failure seems wrong.

20. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    What if the category was renamed to something like "90% done exclusive party habitat"?