Summer Dilemma

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Miles Hanson, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Before I state my problem, I would like to thank all of you for your many posts on all things bass on this site. I've only recently become a member, but have been a "lurker" for close to a year. I'm posting this problem not for you to make my choice for me, but to help weigh things out. Here's some quick info on me: I've been playing DB for a year and a half (I played slab for five years), I just recently got accepted to the University of South Florida Jazz Studies Program and music (more specifically jazz) is my life.

Here's the problem. USF's top jazz combo, the Jazztet, is going on a tour of Europe this summer. They need a bass player and the head of the jazz department wants me to do it! Even though I don't think I'm quite up to the level of the other players in the Jazztet, I guess they like something I'm doing. He told me we'll be playing the Montreaux, Vienna and Umbria jazz festivals! I said yes. He didn't have the dates yet. Now he tells me it's July 9th to the 21st. Problem!!!

My friend from my old town is getting married on July 19th and I'm going to be his best man! Big problem!!! There are a few more interesting details but I'll wait on posting them. Any thoughts, ideas...cloning devices!!
  2. It's not like the dude's your brother. And chances are you won't even be in touch with each other 5 or 10 years from now, that's the way it is. On the other hand the Europe gig could be a once in a life time opportunity. You'll have the time of your life.
  3. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'd take the gig. I've chosen my family over good gigs on many occasions before, but no gig as good as what you're talking about. VERY tough decision though. Whatever you decide, decide it before you talk to him, cuz if you call him to feel him out on the issue, he'll feel guilted.
  4. jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    Hey man, who's a wedding really for, anyway? The bride and her mom. If the groom is your bud, he'll understand. Plus, if you offer him a spot as your roadie, he'll probably go, too.
  5. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Take the gig. You'll never be in this position again. If he's a good friend he'll understand and want you to do it. You can always be best man at his second wedding.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - you know what answer you'll get if you ask a load of musicians! :)

Have you also asked this question on :

7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Fly back for the wedding.
  8. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Take the gig. Send him a postcard. Always remember his anniversary.
  9. Thank you all for your timely replies!

David K. - It should have been clear to me that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, but it really wasn't until you told me:) . You've helped ease my tension on this one.

Lerm - I was going to call him and "feel him out" to see what would happen, but you're right, I don't want to put a guilt trip on him. You kept me from making a big mistake.

Christopher - You might be right in the end about flying back. I found a pamphlet today at USF that gave the itinerary for the Europe trip and we're playing the Umbria Jazz Festival (our last gig) on the 18th of July. The wedding's on the 19th. Is Italy six or so hours ahead of the US? I might be able to pull it off and have serious jet lag all at once:D .

If you haven't guessed by now, I'm definately going to Europe:cool: .
    a tour of Europe?
    Where else in Europe You gonna play besides Umbria? I might make some short visits down to European countries June-July, so if You can give any Dates/places it might be interesting to see the Jazztet.