Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Summer Heat on Rig......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rkatapt, Jul 14, 2004.

1. rkatapt

rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Hello all, I live in Dallas where it gets seriously hot. Well we practice in a buddies garage and set up some fans (it's still hot as all hell in there) well I don't mind the heat so much. When we are done with a practice session I unplug my amp which is an ole' Peavey Mark VIII, and disconnect my 2 cabs a Hartke 410xl and an Ampeg bxt-115 and push them into a corner just so they will be out of the way. Well i take my guitars home with me but my rig just sits in that hot ass garage. Do you guys think that heat is gonna do anything to my cabs. I know the amp does get hot on its own once I had it cranked up at practice and it started to clip due to overheating. Since, I just don't turn it up as loud and it has been fine. I just hope the heat isn't harming the Cabs or even the amp if they are then i will get them out of there asap. Anyone know or have any horror stories on melted equiptment. Thanks......... :meh:

2. My old combo had a heat problem.

It crapped out several times at practices.

My best advice for keeping your equipment not melted, get a large fan, and keep it right behind your amp. So air is flowing behind/over/ect it. And turn it off when you're not using it.

As for the cabs, I don't know what a lot of heat would do to those.

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'd recommend a De-humidifier possibly... but.... its a friggon garage. I've got one down in my basement. My friend put it down there. I've been informed that it'd help protect some of the stuff down there, since there is a lot of valuables. I've got a Mackie PA, B2R with BXTcabs, and my friend pushed for the De-humidifier when he got a Marshall Half-stack. I really dont know what humidity or head would really do.... but I would think humidity would probably be bad for the head. And I think the heat-factor is more of a concern while playing. Then again... I'm in NY.... your in Texas. :rolleyes: Whatever problems I will ever have with heat are like... tripled for you

4. BCinU

BCinU

Jun 24, 2004
    Florida
    Moisture is bad for all things electrical. I'd also be more concerned about humidity.

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    +2

6. rkatapt

rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Well it doesn't stay to horribly humid here we do have our days,compared when I used to live in Houston that was humid. I am more worried about the heat, if it will affect the speaker cones dry out the surrounds on the speakers. Hrmmn maybe i should em get outta there, I just don't wanna have to load all that stuuf everytime we practice. :meh: Thanks though everyone...

7. over time it will have an effect similar to storing them in an oven. but that's only for a few hours during the day. it cools off at night.

if you keep them there all summer, you might notice a change, but it would probably take longer than that to have any serious effects.

robb.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Humidity and oven comments:

Humidity is bad for electronics. When I lived in the Caribbean, not only did all of the hardware on my bass gear rust, but I had a boom box that would periodically screech when turned on. Locals suggested that I place the boombox in my gas oven for 48 hours, without turning it on - said that the pilot light for the gas kept the oven air dry, and that 48 hours would dry out the wetness in the boombox curcuitry. Worked like a charm, but had to be repeated every few months when the moisture built up again.

Perhaps the natural heat inside my amp dried itself out since I played through it every other day at least. I have no doubt, though, that my amp would have had the same problem if left to sit for a few weeks in that humidity.

9. don't forget that the carribbean is also very salty -- folks in new jersey have to deal with many of the same corrosion issues, too.

robb.

10. rkatapt

rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Yeah I just talked to my drummer and said that his toms are out of tune everytime he goes in there I guess due to the heat and the stretching of the skins....... :meh: