Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Summer in Boston

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TMWPB, Jun 16, 2005.

1. TMWPB

TMWPB

Mar 1, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Hey,

I am doing the Berklee 5 week performance program. I was wondering about the bass I should take with me, it really doesn't matter which one I just want to know how each one would react with the summer humidity over in Boston, I am coming from the Bay Area in California.

One option is a Zon sonus custom 5 string, which is a graphite neck bass so I don't think that the heat will have any real impact other then the strings.

The other is a Lakland skyline 55-01. This is a wood neck and I think that the neck has graphite stiffening rod's in it.

Both play incrediblely well, so it really is just a matter of the humidity. I am not taking an amp, I am taking a Sansamp bass driver and a Cafe Walter headphone amp w/ the appropriate chords that I need.

Thanks,
    TMWPB

2. SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Aug 20, 2004
    The Last Frontier
    I got back from the bass-lines weekend program a few days ago. Its a cool area where the school is and I had a good time meeting some people and seeing what berklee was like. On the subject of basses, I took my Peavey Cirrus and it was fine. As far as I can tell there are no negative effects on the bass. I just had it in a gigbag and took it on the plane with me, worked out great.

Hope you have fun for the 5-weeks, I think I'm gonna try it next year.

3. TMWPB

TMWPB

Mar 1, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    bump

4. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I think you'd be fine with either bass. I'm also heading in to the 5 week program, but I'm local so I get to bring all my toys :). have fun man, maybe I'll see ya there.

5. DrewBud

DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Nashville
    You'd be fine with either bass...The humidity there isn't bad enough to affect them unless you're leaving them in a car for a few days.

6. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Several years back I relocated from the Nashville area to Beantown in late October - early winter in Beantown, still early Fall in Nashvegas. I brought several basses (Smith, Warrior, Kramer, etc ...) with various finish types (urethane, nitro, oil, etc ...) in the back of my truck with absoltely no problem. I also made several trips from Boston to Los Angeles (at various times over several years) with my Smith and had zero problems.

Just last year I relocated from Boston to Seattle in July. Again, absolutely zero problems.

If you went from San Diego, Miami, or Corpus Christi to Boston in late January ... well, you might have to do a small amount of truss rod tweaking over the course of several days, but that should be about it.

Let your bass sit in the case a day or so before you open it and you'll be more than happy.

R