Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Summer In NYC

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by black_j0hn, Feb 26, 2006.

1. black_j0hn

black_j0hn

Dec 29, 2003
    Hi everybody,

I'm thinking of plan for this summer right now (it's right on time if i want to get a cheap plane ticket). One of the possibilities that came into my mind is going to NYC. I like jazz and I also play it with my group, and I think it wouldn't be bad to listen to 'some of that jazz' in NY :) and I also always wanted to experience that proverbial mood of NY.
    My question (especially to NewYorkers) is:

Would I be able to find a job (I have only tourist visa) and pay from the money I earn some acceptable living? I would also be glad, if I came back home with some extra money.

I'm 18-years old student from Czech Republic, I speak quite good english and I'd say I have no bigger problems with understanding.
    I'm able to maintain or build computers, have good typing skills, can speak German, Polish, Slovak... (and much more :))
    It would be great if I found a job connected with music, but i guess that's a utopian idea, isn't it?

What you think?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I would say the big problem is where are you going to stay? To come to NYC without a job or any prospects will leave you alone and hungry on the street. If you are up for an unseen adventure, go for it. But I do nothing without some sort of planning.

3. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I wouldnt bet on finding a job right away unless you have it waiting for you before you get here. The other problem is finding a place to live. Hotels are pretty expensive here (I doubt you can get away with less than 150 per night), and living costs in general are rather high. Lots of people are able to do what you want to do, but Im not thinking that its going to be very easy. I suggest asking around in ethnic neighborhoods for a job, because people often need translators. good luck!

4. black_j0hn

black_j0hn

Dec 29, 2003
    I thought I could rent some small furnitured apartement or studio (i'll maybe go with a friend, so we can club together)...
    I realize, that going to nyc with no prospects, or contacts is asking for problems, that's why i'm writing here :).
    But can I get a job or some guarantee before going there? If so, how :)? Where to search? I've been going thru some estate agencies webs, but it seems like they offer only luxury apartments for thousends of dollars...

5. black_j0hn

black_j0hn

Dec 29, 2003
    and thaks for help

6. There are no furnished rooms or studios that I know of which rent cheaply in NYC. Your best bet would be to try to stay with someone you know here. If you have no friends or family here it's going to be rough. (very expensive)

I wish I could be of more help.

Mike

7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Be prepared to pay astronomical rent prieces if your planning on renting a furnished apt in Manhattan. Even in the other boroughs rent is high. It is one of the most expensive places to live on the planet.

I'm from the USA, so I don't know whats involved exactly. Work might be tough without proper papers. Try to get a work visa? To cover your living cost, most jobs that will pay you enough to afford the cost of living in nyc will be on the books. I don't know how that would work without a work visa.

Still, theres no other place like it. Summer in the city is fun. Hot as hell, but lots of fun.

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    In general terms, you're going to be hard pushed to find anything furnished to rent on a short term basis for $1000 or less in NYC (I mean that including the five boroughs, not just Manhattan).

If you go through a broker for an apartment, you have to pay brokers fee of at least one months rent. Add to that one month's rent as security deposit and paying first months rent in advance and you're looking at a fair chunk of change. Many places also do credit checks on potential renters, so without a social security number (you won't have one on a tourist visa) you might have to pay it all upfront. If you have that money, great. Just want you to be aware what you'll need.

You are not legal to work on a tourist visa. So, you can't get a formal job offer in advance. Having said that, there are many many people working in bars / restaurants here who aren't legal immigrants either. If, as you say, you have good English then that might be a good first bet to try for employment while you maybe try and get something else. But, again, you'll have to be here first to get the job.

Again, I'm not trying to put you off. It's a wonderful city.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, I tried this in 1993. It won't work. You'll just end up on the street with all the other bums.

Smart on you though to ask around before you hop on a plane and come on over. You should start now making internet friends in New York though. Perhaps one of them will invite you to come stay with them?

-Mike

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

ahhh, the joys of living outside the city. ;)