summer project: homemade pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by shaolinwhat, Jun 16, 2005.

1. shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    so im looking to give pedal building a whirl this summer. i have zero experience in this, so does anyone with experience have any suggestions for getting started? as in what would be a good first pedal, etc. i have a friend who is somewhat into this and im gonna have him help me along hopefully, but any tips would be great. i found this site, seems like maybe itd be worth ordering a couple things from them... thanks guys.
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I want to make an octave up pedal this summer...

HELP ME!
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Seriously, I've heard that building an Orange Squeezer clone is fairly easy if you have even slight knowledge of electronics. A compressor might not be useful to you though.
  5. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    This summer shall be my first homemade pedal build also I think. Was going to make the Rebote 2 Delay found on but I found out it doesn't have the length of delay i'm after!

Wondering what to do instead though.
  6. is a great resource. Try and avoid buying your parts from Radio Shack, and suffer through the website to find quality jacks/pots/enclosures/caps/resistors/rectifiers/diodes/led's/lfo's/and the like.

Don't scrimp on the paint either, nothing can negate a quality diy pedal quite like slapping a coat of semi-gloss latex your Mom used to paint the cupboards in the laundry room. Powder coat, then airbrush, then at least 9 coats of clear, wet sanded and buffed with a fine chamois between each coat.

That's the only way to do it. :D
  7. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Unpainted electrical junction boxes do have that cool industrial vibe...:ninja:
  8. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    theres something cool about the pedal that noone else has. if i wasnt so lazy i would make one...