Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Summer school

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by steve chase, Dec 10, 2001.

1. I have just sent my deposit for a week`s summer(?)school next Easter,the tutor being Danny Thomson(Pentangle,Sandy Denny,John Martyn,Fairport Convention,Richard Thomson etc,etc.),which i am very much looking forward to.However,not having attended an event of this nature i don`t really know what to expect.Any thoughts,ideas or suggestions,stuff to read up on or practise ?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've been to Jazz Summer School at the University of Glamorgan, for the last 4 years running; but I suppose this is a bit different - the one I go to , doesn't really have any instrumental tuition and is just about playing together with others in small and large ensembles.

I can't imagine what a whole week of bass tuition would be like - haven't seen this one advertised anywhere either - but is does sound like hard work! But I'm sure it will be enjoyable as well.

I usually start to go through Mark Levine's "Jazz Theory Book" - which might help - I know that Danny Thompson has done some Jazz in small groups before - although he is more famous for his Folk and sessions with big-name acts like "Everything But the Girl".

If you have a teacher - presumably it would be like an extended session with him/her and may be worth discussing?

3. Hello again Bruce,the course is actually a Bluegrass workshop type thing with classes for guitar,dobro,mandolin,fiddle and banjo as well as bass.Yes it does sound like hard work and the course is appropriately named `Sorefingers Summer School` if you want to check it out on the web.
    The classes consist of about 4 or so hours a day tuition,then scratch bands are put together for impromptu concerts at the school and local pubs which sounds good to me !
    Personally i consider it worth the money if i just sit and watch Danny Thompson all week,but i am sure one can`t fail to learn something.
    I am still searching for a teacher,no luck so far.Are you still looking to get a bass sometime in the future? I`d hate to see you give up on it.
    I will look for the book you mentioned,i do have the Mingus book and cd set which i haven`t had a real chance to study yet,i think if one can get an understanding of jazz,that knowledge is useful in almost any situation.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - while Bluegrass isn't really my kind of thing(which is probably why I missed seeing ads for this) I can see how this would be good fun if you get to play with other people - especially in pubs! If it is going to be a lot about perfomance, then I wouldn't worry and just enjoy it!

I always find that playing with other people is inspiring and motivating - I wouldn't worry about reading up a lot although it might be worth picking a tune you like and getting parts copied out for it for other people - chords ect. In these things there are usually opportunities for input and it's always better if you have something prepared for these occasions as it always sound a bit lame if you get asked what you would like to do and you just say ...errr don't know! Just an idea anyway...