Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Summer Time and the weather is fine.......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass_Machine, May 27, 2005.

1. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Don't worry, this is related to bass.

Ok, so my band have decided it would be nice to play a few acoustic jams around local parks and things. Mebbe, we could even busk, but both bands I'm in express an interest in playing acoustic stuff (y'know a coupla guitarists on acoustics and a drummer on bongos) this summer. I would like to be able to join them, but the question is how? Should I get an acoustic bass, and if so what one? My price range would be around £200 (at max). I was also wondering if I would need to buy an acoustic if I just wanted to chill with friends and play some music without all the hassle of amps and cables etc.. Is it a good idea to buy an acoustic and if so, which one would be good to try out?

2. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    most acoustic basses are hard to hear, so you'll need to use an amp anyway. Go to a guitar shop, pick up an acoustic and play it. If you like the feel, get it, if not don't. I'ts as simple as that. Although, I would suggest getting a nice electric acoustic, like a carvin AC40 or something if you are going to get one.

3. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    The thing is, I think I'll probably be getting a new bass anyway soon, as I've finished my exams and I've saved up a helluva lotta money to get one, (fine so it's only £300). Is there an alternative to getting an acoustic for this situatuion? How can I make my bass heard? Any help would be appreciated.

4. Eisenmann

Eisenmann

May 12, 2004
    well its true acoustic basses are really hard to hear especially outdoor

so if you need to use an amp anyway why dont you use your electric? amplifying an acoustic bass isnt so easy

5. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    That's exactly what I mean! How can I amplify my bass in this sorta situation?

6. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    using an amp

**CA-CHING**

7. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Check out some battery amps, Crate and Pignose spring to mind.

8. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    He's talking about playing outdoors in a park.

FYI, that generally means no AC power.

So to actually post something that may be helpful.......

Pignose makes a few different battery-powered amps. They're not going to crank out a lot of volume, but probably enough to play along with unamplified acoustic guitars.

http://www.pignoseamps.com

9. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Great advice guys. I'll go with a battery powered amp. :) Now for a summer of relaxation and spontaeous music.

10. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    hmmm...yeah, sorry, I didn't realize about that whole no power thing. Um- def go with the battery powered amp. That's your best bet.