1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Summers of Mowing Lawns for a new Bass no longer exist.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by powellmacaque, Nov 2, 2010.

1. **Note - let's keep the macroeconomics and politics out of this discussion**

I don't know how many times I've seen or heard an older musician tell me that he or she worked all summer long to be able to afford the shiny new P-bass in the window back in the 70s or the Strat next door in the 60s.

I've also noticed many older members on TB and throughout my time as a musician scoff at us "youngins" not being able to save our money because we live in a "generation of instant gratification". This is true to an extent, but I think some of my older friends in music forget that a dollar doesn't buy what it used to.

I, for instance, worked my BUTT off all summer making minimum wage at a local restaurant. I worked some weeks with 4 straight 12-hour days or two weeks without a day off when business allowed. But when business slowed down (as it does in Florida's summer) so did my hours. I also had to pay for my own gas, phone, insurance, food, etc. I've been living back at my parents while I go to school, so luckily room and board was paid for. But I was lucky I landed this job since the economy in my area is bad (much like everywhere else) and I'm lucky I know the owner.

I would have loved to have gotten a bass from all my earnings, but there was no way I could have afforded that unless I saved every penny of my earnings.

I'm not asking for a pity party, I just think it's sad that the days are gone where a kid can actually earn him/herself what he or she wants. So next time you old geezers go tellin' stories to the youngins, don't assume that we're all lazy and hooligans, a lot of us would love to work like you guys did back in the stone age and earn a shiny new p-bass :).

2. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Kudos to you for working toward what you want. I am 54, and I started working when I was 15. I think I made $1.10 per hour if my memory serves me correctly. I was able to save up enough money to buy my first bass at age 16. It cost me $90. I learned how to play bass on that thing!

You'll never hear any "youngin slammin" from me, that's for sure!

Bass players need to always stick up for other bass players (and even those who don't yet play bass but are interested in playing bass).

It's all about this: :bassist:

3. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    it sucks to work your ass off, as many hours as they'll give you, and still barely make money to pay for necessities. I haven't bought a pedal for a long time...

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Kudos for working so hard all summer. But all those hours, and not a hundred bucks over expenses to show for it?

5. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    what new bass are you buying for 100?

6. thomashawk

thomashawk

Jun 29, 2010
    New York, NY
    There is no such thing as any "good old days." Things have always been difficult. Somebody recently ran the retail costs on TB on a early 70's Jazz (new) vs. 2010 Jazz (new), and the numbers were about the same. If you're job isn't working for you, get a better one. It's our greatest freedom.

7. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    true that man. it especially drives me nuts when older guys pull that "i worked my way through college flipping burgers and you never heard me complain." yea, just try doing that today.

there is an extremely annoying trend currently of employers saying "if no previous experience, don't bother applying." if all employment requires previous employment...where do you start?

i was very lucky this past summer to get occasional work cleaning out pond muck. the guy who posted the ad on craigslist said he had over 100 responses within the first hour. people, myself included, really want these unskilled labor jobs but there just isn't enough out there...

8. Meh, got me there. I do also have a girlfriend that costs some money. But hey, many can't live on bass alone right?:bassist:

9. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    That is a rough thing. Some of us have been there without handouts from family. I paid for flying lessons while living at home with minimum wage earnings.
    And, no girlfriend was around to break the bank...

10. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    I spent my whole last summer working for a new bass, coincidentally, and still saved up a decent chunk. of course I didn't have to pay for my own food when living at home, which I guess i'm lucky for

or else I may not have my sexy, sexy corvette...

11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Car insurance wasn't mandatory and people didn't have cell phones in the olden days.

12. with that extra 100 a month, id have all kinds of cool ****.

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Who says you have to buy new?

14. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    "...shiny new P-bass in the window..."

implies new.

15. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Wants and needs. ;)

16. mileszs

mileszs

Aug 19, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not necessarily a yay or nay on the OP's assertion:

When I was 13 (holy ..., 15 years ago?), I detasseled corn for a summer. I made $4.25 an hour. I saved as much as I could and bought... a crappy low end Ibanez and a crappy low-end amp supposedly made by a division of Marshall for $750ish. Man, I wish I would've listened to my Dad, who told me I was getting sold, and that I should've been looking used all the way.

I can't speak to the current unskilled labor employment options, but I wish we had eBay, or, better yet, TB Classifieds when I was 13.

17. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    i know the feeling.

this comnig from a man who's only new peice of equipment is a bass an ex bought him...

18. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    It took my son close to a year to find any part time work here. The reason was that all the jobs teenagers used to do are now being done by illegals.

EDIT: or "guest workers" to avoid the reality of the situation :rollno:

Add to the above the crappy economy, so it's an employer's market, and it's poodoo for sure.

19. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    I worked for all of my equipment, but I had to finagle a ton to get decent gear.
    Good jobs are hard to find. Good basses are hard to fund. :D

20. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT