Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Summit Audio TD-100 -- nice pre/DI box!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by junglebike, Aug 11, 2003.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Doesn't seem like these guys get much press around here with all the hubub about the Avalon U5. I just received one in the mail -- I got it off e-bay for $365 ($419 is the normal price, I think)

I've only had it a couple hours, but it's clearly a fantastic piece of equipment. Brilliant sound quality, even through the headphone output. It's half-rack sized, so with a half-rack parametric eq, you could have a one-rack space preamp of VERY high quality.

Sound is so good I'm considering gigging with it, using just my Pedulla's active EQ for tone shaping. Not ultra-versatile, but the sound is sooo pure! You can even get a little tube push with the gain cranked.

Worth a shot if you're looking for a quality DI/preamp with tube warmth and a more manageable size than the Avalon. I'd love to A/B the two units.

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    A sales rep from one of the online dealers pulled my coat on the Summit and the Manley Mono Tube Direct Interface w/EQ. I didn't have an opportunity to try either so I was a little uncomfortable with giving one a try. Sounds like I need to keep that Summit on the list for future consideration.

3. holderman

holderman

May 25, 2000
    What do you mean by "a little tube push"?
    Can you really get an overdriven sound or not?

4. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I wouldn't get this unit for overdrive. A little tube push means just a touch of distortion at the peaks if you max out the gain.

5. holderman

holderman

May 25, 2000
    If it's a slight but audible tube distortion, it may just be what I need.

Thanks for your reply.