1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Summit FeQ-50 ( Berg IP content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chadds, Oct 10, 2006.

1. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    As promised here is the review. I am a huge fan of the Summit TD-100 especially when it is modded to interface with the Bergantino IP series.
    I tested the Summit FeQ-50 at Jive Sound. I used a Brubaker 5 and a Roscoe LG3005 though the TD-100 through the FeQ-50 though a Berg IP212. The signal path was all Monster cables. Speaking of monsters several pros blasted though this rig so testing was with different playing styles.
    The FeQ-50 has 4 outputs. Two are Solid State and two are Tube. There is TRS for the -10 and XLR for the +4 on each. For this test I came out of the TD-100 TRS-XLR (4ft.) into the input of the FeQ. then XLR-XLR (4ft.) +4 into the IP.
    Sound? Whoa! The FeQ. has a defeatable hi-pass filter. Important to the IP folks. It rolls off 6db at 30 hz. You can hear it. It tapers the low lows that cause IP users issues from room acoustics or if they boost too much bass on their bass. I didn't have a hollow wooden stage to test this on.
    The FeQ-50 is an amazing 4 band parametric eq. From their site, "Each of the four bands has six switch selectable frequencies and 14dB of fully sweepable cut or boost. The low and high bands can switch between peaking and shelving filters, the low mid and high mid can switch between narrow and wide bandwidths."
    Even when I dialed up some weird eq. that one would rarely use it still sounded musical. I couldn't get it to sound bad. The options of settings are uncountable so I have to say try it and season to taste. Like the TD-100 each note is clear and warm instead of your whole sound having a color.
    The TD and the FeQ. sound like one unit when plugged together.
    The pair can be mounted in Summit's own rack which replaces the tops of the units. As tested they look cool stacked. These units are so small that I carry my TD in a Grover Percussion bag. Similar bags are made by Meisel. They are tamborine bags. Imagine the padded cover of an AG cab or EA the size of a Tamborine. With your bass over your shoulder and an IP112 and this, it's a one trip trip.
    Please see their website as the details of the eq are apparent from the specs and the enlarged front panel shot.
    www.summitaudio.com/feq-50-equalizer.htm
    The IP212 sounds great. The TD-100 sounds great. I see the FeQ-50 giving the player that ultimate tone control when he hits that bad room. Some IP users have wanted tone controls. Here is a way for the bassist to have very specific shaping options while retaining his pure bass sound.

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Very nice, although a bit expensive.

3. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Check with Jive Sound. They are selling them for cost to get them out in the public.

4. babaseen

babaseen Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Sorry to change the thread but...
    How do you order the Summit TD-100 with the mod for the Berg IP? I haven't had much luck contacting the Summit folks in this regard.

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    They were all at the AES show. Call Jong at Jive Sound. He can help you.
    http://www.jivesound.com/home/.
    I have been able to turn the IP down to say 33 or 3 and crank the Summit up to say 2:00 and get that juicy slight burn distortion with clarity. Now I can play it at reasonable volumes in my studio. I wanted the IP to respond to my touch from gentle to aggressive. The exact match of the Summits electronics with the IP's makes the IP work.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021