sun bleaching a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by narcopolo, Sep 16, 2005.

1. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i recently met a girl who had kept her candy apple red fender by her window for a long time (not on purpose, that's just where she kept it), and the red turned to a gorgeous copper.
    i think i'm going to do the same thing on purpose to my candy apple red bass (don't worry it's a samick). anyway, not seeking advice or anything, just sharing a cool idea. any thoughts?
  2. Logans Dad

Logans Dad

Dec 9, 2002
    I know more about finishes than bass playing at this point, but the result will depend on what kind of finish is on your bass.

Some finishes will yellow with prolonged sun exposure, others will stay clear with only the stain/wood under the finish bleaching to a lighter "washed out" color.

My only point is to be careful because depending on the type of finish on your bass, you might not get the desired effect.
  3. SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I wonder (out loud, because I don't know..)

if high powered UV/IR lights might be able to do the job faster than regular old sunlight... like leave it in a tanning bed for a week or so ?

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You've probably got a couple of things going on here...first of all, red pigment tends to fade with sun quicker than other colors...throw in the fact that the clear coat on most basses or guitars will yellow with sunlight, you're fading the red and bringing more yellow...thus orange.