Sunbeam Heavy Gauge (50-110) question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by punchdrunk, Aug 12, 2017.

1. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Howdy all, I have been stringing my US Bob Glaub with medium gauge Sunbeams (45-105) since I've had it, but just ordered a set of heavy gauge from BassStringsOnline. I'm curious if any of you have had any experience going from the medium gauge to the heavy, and how the feel/sound might differ. I'm hoping for better tension, bigger all around sound, a bit punchier, and hoping to retain the mids. Is this in line with anyone's experience?

Stumbo and Pbassmanca like this.
  2. I only have experience with the Sunbeams 45-105.
    If I were you, I would try the GHS Round Core Boomers 45-105 based on what you're looking for.

punchdrunk likes this.
  3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    They should sound and feel like the 45-105 Sunbeams but with higher tension.

4. punchdrunk

Jun 22, 2013
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I never enjoyed the Boomers. I found that to not be as buttery as the Sunbeams, and also to have a very short usable lifespan. Good for rock if you can change them out every night tho. (In my experience/opinion)

5. punchdrunk

Jun 22, 2013
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I feel like they might be a bit punchier due to the increase in mass, is that flawed logic?

6. You're talking about the regular hex-core Boomers; I'm talking about the new Round Core Boomers. Not all Boomers are created equal.

punchdrunk likes this.
  7. punchdrunk

Jun 22, 2013
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Ah, I was unaware of those. I may have to take a second look. Thanks.

8. nocalkind

nocalkind

Jan 22, 2016
    I went from 45-105 Lo-Riders to 50-110 Lo-Riders to tighten up some drop D songs a couple years ago and have never looked back. They sound pretty much the same, but with increased tension. You'll probably have to make a couple minor setup adjustments to accommodate the extra string width and tension on the neck.

punchdrunk likes this.
  9. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca Never spit through an open doorway... Supporting Member

It's been my experience that moving up to a heavier gauge of strings does include some of the qualities you've mentioned. The higher tension from my experience it should increase the fundamental and attack of the note which in the case of the round core sunbeams is not a bad thing. I moved up from regular gauge rotosound nickels to the heavy-gauge rotosound nickels and was very happy with the results.

monsterthompson and punchdrunk like this.
  10. punchdrunk

Jun 22, 2013
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Good report. I'm hoping for a similar phenomenon.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  11. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    i put these strings on my Fender Starcaster hollowbody. Now the tension is comparable to my 34" basses with mediums. sounds great. not a whole lot different. punchy, nice strings.

punchdrunk likes this.
  12. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Increasing the thickness of strings in the same product line usually results in higher tension, a bit more low end, and a bit more output. I think you will like the results.

Pbassmanca and punchdrunk like this.
  13. punchdrunk

Jun 22, 2013
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I'm hoping for these results.

14. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Being that the only thing the RC Boomers and Sunbeams have in common is that they're both round core, it may not be the most logical step if you really like the Sunbeams. I haven't tried the heavy Sunbeams but use the 45-105's almost religiously. I experimented with RC Boomers and they were certainly more tense than Sunbeams of the same gauge, but feel and sonically were very different. Liking Sunbeams they way I do, if I wanted considerably stiffer feeling strings, I'd just as soon jump up to the heavy set and keep that smooth feel that they're known for.

punchdrunk likes this.
  15. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    I've been using sunbeams consistently for about three years, and recently I have been looking for something similar to you, more volume punch and mid presence. One person here said ghs bass boomers will work, I would agree. I have also been having good luck w good old ernie ball hybrid slinkys. I have heard they tend to die a little quick but I'll have to see, only had them on a bass for 2 weeks.

punchdrunk likes this.
  16. JeffG667

JeffG667 NO SANDALS OR CARGO SHORTS ONSTAGE..EVER!! Supporting Member

I use steels, and have always found that heavier guage = less bright and punch! It sucks because I love the feel of .50 to110s, I just never found them sounding as lively.

punchdrunk likes this.