1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sunbeams 45-105 or Fender Pure Nickel 45-105?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Groover, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Trying to decide what to use next on a vintage Fender Jazz bass; Sunbeams 45-105 or Fender Pure Nickel 45-105?

I've been playing a Fender Precision with 49-109 Labella Deep Talking flats, so I know I'll be in for a change... but which ones do you guys think will suit the Jazz better?

I know it's all about personal preference, but any insight you may have between the Sunbeams and the Fender Pure Nickels would be great.

Thanks!

2. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I have tried both.

In my experience, Fender darker, DR brighter. Fender very vintagey.
    The Fenders are hex core, so they feel like they have more tension. The DRs are round core, and felt to me like they were "rolling" under my fingers. It was something I got used to.

Sunbeams will feel smoother, but neither falls into the rough camp.

Both age very nicely, if you are easy on strings, you may not need to change them for a long time.

3. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Great, thanks for quick and the detailed reply. From your description, I'd probably be leaning more towards the Fenders - because of the sound description, but mainly because it sounds like they'll be higher tension, and being used to the Labella flats, I may like that a little better. (I didn't realize the fender had hex cores... these are the 7150M, correct?)

4. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    I love the Sunbeams, but I like easy strings. You might try the DR Lo-Rider Nickels for a little more tension.

5. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I would also consider Fender 7250s. They would be closer to Sunbeams. I really dug the 7250s 45-100 that came on my MIM 50's P. They have a focus down low that is not typical of Nickels IME (particulary XLs). The mids are nice (no scoop like Boomers) . The high are not harsh (XLs). Unlike some nickels that the highs are muted (Dr Low Rider Nickel, Superalloys), these are still present. Respond nice to tone control. Slap great. And fingerstyle is good. I need to try a second set and a second bass and see if they really are the best Nickel string I have used.

I used a light gauge of Sunbeams once. They had a smooth sound (scooped maybe?), but they just go lost in the mix. But that could have been the light gauge factor on a J-bass that tended to get lost.

6. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    i would have to agree with Dave & say that the 7250's are very sweet strings, & that coming from a long time DR player. i'll be buying up a few sets of these :bassist: