1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sunbeams E-String Tuner Post

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JES, Feb 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JES

JES Supporting Member

I'm trying out some Sunbeams on a Fender-style bass with a composite neck. Love the sound and feel so far.

No matter what I do, the E string wraps a bit around the tuner post. The result it a much tighter tension on the post and it's harder to turn. I've had this both with a .120 and a .100 E string. The other strings are fine.

Since they only make 38" E strings, this must be ok, right? Or is there a "trick" I'm not getting?

If it matters, I use a hipshot bass extender to drop to D and C.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    That's what stringing through body is for!

Also I know Bass Strings Online has some custom shorter DRs, not sure if he has the custom Sunbeams. @SLaPiNFuNK can answer.

3. JES

JES Supporting Member

Thanks.

I know they don't--I already went back and forth with BSO (which is where I bought the strings).

4. I've used the Sunbeams on my Fender Jazz once. I did notice the E string was a bit too long but I didn't see it as a problem due to the pliable nature of the round-core rounds. I just had to make sure there weren't too many wraps on the E tuner post to prevent it from being sticky.

5. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Is it getting hard to turn only because the full size part is on the peg or because there are too many loops around the peg and it is bunching at the base against the washer on the headstock?