Sunbeams or Nickel Lo riders for slap?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by chilliwilli, Feb 12, 2006.

1. chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    I like the SS lo riders, but my G&L l2500 is already a bright bass and lo riders are already plenty bright.

I like to slap, so was wondering if the sunbeams for nickel lo riders are better for this?
  2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    I would think that it is a matter of preference. Which sound and feel better to you?
  3. chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    well i havent tried either

all i know is i tried the ss lo riders and they are just to bright for my bass.
  4. Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    I'm curious about this comparison as well. I've tried (and liked) the stainless Lo Riders on my Lakland 55-02, but I haven't tried Sunbeams or nickel Lo Riders. Sunbeams are supposed to be lower tension than Lo Riders because of being wound on a round core. If they're a LOT more flexible they might not be best for slapping. I don't slap much, but I have a fairly heavy right hand attack (but not as heavy as all these younguns that keep breaking strings :D ) so Sunbeams might not work for me either.
  5. beam

Dec 29, 2002
    I've used both.
    I prefer the Sunbeams personally. They are my favorite round wound strings.

I've samples of both in my sig. They sound very very similar, most of the difference is in feel. The sunbeams are a bit softer and smoother on the fingers.
  6. I think the Sunbeams sound ten times better than the Nickel Lo-Riders on my Rick!

The best sounding string I've heard yet.

I tried all of these strings back-to-back, and the two Lo-Riders(nickel and S.S.) sounded simillar, with the Nickels sounding a little more rounded..the 'Beams were just different..less clacky, and more harmonics and warmth
  7. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    My vote would go to Sunbeams for feel. However, I strongly suggest the Marcus Miller signature "Fat Beams" from DR. They're kinda like Hi-Beams but with a more pronounced but rounded mid range and a just a tad less treble. They sound excellent for slap and they retain their tone for a long time.

Give em a shot. I went back to Hi-Beams recently and realized it was a mistake. Fat Beams from now on.

8. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

I just ordered a set of FATBEAMS for my Smith,I love regular Hi-Beams can't wait to hear what my bass is gonna sound like with the MM sig. strings.:hyper: