Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunday at the Village Vanguard

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jusaplaya, Apr 5, 2005.

1. jusaplaya

jusaplaya

Dec 14, 2004
    Houston, TX
    First, let me thank my fellow TBers for the great music referrals that you offer.
    I just picked up this CD today and was blown away. Scott Lefaro was such a badass. His sound and his presence are astounding. I have only listened to the first four cuts, but I know I will be spending alot of time listening to this. I know this is one of my new favorite CDs. I also have to recommend Night Train - Oscar Peterson. I got it from my pops last night and Ray Brown is just awesome. I was at work and I just wanted to get up and play some air bass with the man. I love the way that he swings.

Anyway, please keep the excellent recommendations coming.

I also like the Mars Volta CD - I never would have bought this if it was not for my fellow TBers. I am looking for Gary Willis now and my sister's friend is trying to get me an advance copy of the Marcus Miller CD from her radio station. I have not heard him yet but a guy at the local GC told me he was someone I should check out because he plays so many different genres of music well.

Thanks to all

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But both of those are DB classics - and we're in BG - land....:confused:

anyway - Sunday at Village Vanguard is like half an album or half a concert - you have to get "Waltz for Debby" which if anything is even better from Scott and is the other half of the gig!! :)

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bruce-

It's about the music...not the tool.
    When will you ever get 'it'?
    :meh:

4. Love Scott LaFaro - and he was so incredibly good and died at 26-years-old (approx) - amazing - Bill Evans is one of my all time favourite jazzers - I just learnt the head/chords for Very Early - absolutely gorgeous changes for soloing over.

M

Mate, get hold of 'No Sweat' by Willis - his playing on that is simply incredible - his tone and phrasing are sublime - there's song at the end called 'Hymn' - both the piano solo (by Scott Kinsey) and bass solo are just breathtaking - I was playing along to that this morning - I've had my copy for about 7 years and I still play along to it - so inspriring.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Well, then we ought to have a Jazz forum and the site shouldn't be split into BG and DB... are you going to tell Paul...? ;)

6. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I think it's necessary to have the site split DB/EB because there are too many differences in the instruments.

Technique, players, styles, strings, amps, recording...it's practically an entirely different instrument.

It's about the music and the tool.

A jazz forum is fine, but spend a few minutes in the DB forum and you'll find the complexities of the instrument go well beyond the slab, and a separate forum for it is an amazing tool for those of us who play.

7. jusaplaya

jusaplaya

Dec 14, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the Gary Willis suggestion. I will look for it today.

BTW, I realize that the Scott Lafaro plays DB, but I play electric bass and the theory behind what he is playing translates to either instrument. I think you are missing the forest for the trees. Tone, presence, note selection, etc. are all relevant to the EB player as well as the DB. I only mean't to praise his skills as a musician, I bet he would have been a hell of an EB player. I always see guys praising Ray Brown, Ron Carter or Dave Holland in this forum, so just add Lafaro to the list.

I'm learning, I'm listening, don't stunt my growth man.

8. I got the "Vanguard" CD a couple of weeks ago and it hasn't left my CD player. Amazing stuff.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    See...I agree 100%.
    (FWIW, Ray Brown, Carter, & Holland did play electric bass, too).

10. Bruce Lindfield

Well I was being "tongue in cheek" and trying to hip you to Waltz for Debby - but I think you've missed my point there!

So I'm not saying that as a BG player you can't like Le Faro or any other DB player!

I was just making the point that we have two forums : "Recordings (BG)" and "Recordings (DB)" - so it's obviously not meant to be about what instrument the poster plays, but rather what is played on the recording you are talking about!

I don't make the rules - I was just pointing out that that is how the site is layed out!!

It's not my forum ... but that's how it is! :meh:

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have OWNED an URB since '75. I realized the differences very quickly. ;)
    I don't mind the DB Forum...I just don't visit it for a variety of reasons.
    Anyway, for me, UR bassists are a huge influence. True, the methods to produce the sound/tone may differ, from perspective, what can be played on the URB transfers pretty nicely to the EB.
    BTW-
    We routinely talk about drummers & horn players here in the Electric Forum...don't they also play ACOUSTIC instruments? I mean, if you're even remotely influenced by the 'School of Jaco"...drummers & horn players are a must. ;)

...and I just wanted to bust Bruce's chops(for a change).

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    18,000+ posts...Paul shoulda had me make the $20 check out to you!

;)

13. jusaplaya

jusaplaya

Dec 14, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Sorry, I missed the point. I was just saying how happy I was with the suggestions I have found on the forum for tunes to check out. I am going to grab that Waltz for Debby today. I saw it at the shop yesterday, but I was so glad to finally find Sunday at the VV. I also bought a Stevie Ray Vaughn CD - Blues at Sunrise that has some really nice bass work by Tommy Shannon and an awesome duet with Albert King.

14. Isn't that some kind of record??? A stuck record...;)

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If we don't mention Scott Lafaro, Dave Holland etc. in this forum, a lot of younger guys might not ever check out these very important players. Then what we do about the great doublers out there like Avishai Cohen, we would have to have a doublers forum ;)

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I don't know.
    Believe it or not, I once had more posts than Bruce.

Back to the Recordings(BG) & Recordings(DB) forums-
    IMO, there was never enough 'traffic' down there and, more importantly, the BG 'regulars'(including KungFu) seemed to be more 'open'...unless things have changed.
    Just one man's opinion.

17. Bruce Lindfield

That's right - Mike is just jealous that he didn't find TB sooner!! ;)

Jim and others would probably have more posts than me, from previous software versions whic got deleted - it's just a question of how long we've been around here, not about frequent posting - I look at over 95% of stuff around here now and it doesn't interest me - too much gear stuff!! :meh:

But on previous versions of the board it was more friendly and open as you say and Ed (Fuqua) amongst others, were a lot "lighter" - so the majority of my posts are from years and years ago, when it was a smaller group and more about what those people were interested in, rather than overwhelmingly - Gear!

18. jusaplaya

jusaplaya

Dec 14, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I agree with you Bruce. I find learning how to play more interesting than discussing how to sound like who and what bass does what. I also like to discover new bass players and some of the great tunes that I have never heard. I haven't been at this long, but I know from experience that it's not the tool, it's what you do with it.

19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I always wonder how many of us came over from the old board compared to todays numbers.