Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sunn 1200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RockStar571, Dec 5, 2002.

1. i just got in my sunn 1200 head and let me first say that it is amazing but my question is does anyone have any knowledge of what kind of footswitch is supposed to go with it?

2. EastCoast Ed

EastCoast Ed

Dec 31, 2001
    My SUNN 1200s came with a SUNN three button foot switch (channel selector, Graphic EQ, compressor). Part Number 0053895000.

3. thanks that answered my queston fully

4. What kind of channels can you select from on this amp and is the compressor of the tube type?

5. I've got a question about these now orphaned amps: Why did Fender give up on them (the entire revamped Sunn line), and does anybody know what the rated power output is at 8 and 4 ohms? The only thing you ever heard about them was that they delivered 1200 W into 2 ohms, which almost no one ever encounters. My experience with them was kind of like they were always a bit noisy, but powerful nonetheless. Comments?

6. i'm not sure about the power rating but all i know is that i'm running min at 4 ohms and it's deafening on 4...it can be a bit noisy at times but once you use the -6 db it's quite enough to use for any situation

7. EastCoast Ed

EastCoast Ed

Dec 31, 2001
    The SUNN 1200s is a Hybrid design utilizing both tube and solid state technology. Based upon the schematics that came with the amp, there are 2 12AX7A tubes that appear to be in the pre-amp circuitry. There are two pre-amp channels, 1 & 2. My perception is that channel 1 allows solid state operation, and channel 2 injects the tube distortion. They can be selected individually or mixed. The footswitch or the channel select button on the front panel activates the selection/mixing of channels.

The schematic, based upon my limited ability to follow, doesn't show any tubes in the compressor circuitry .

8. well now another question is raised. where can one attain one of these footswitches?

9. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The 1200S has been reintroduced as the Bassman 1200 so you can order a footswitch from Fender. The part number is 0057745000.

Both of the channels on the 1200 are tube channels. One is clean and the other is overdrive.

Mine is pretty quiet, however, I do have high frequency hearing loss so there may be some noise that I cannot hear. I did replace the tubes with NOS Sylvania 12AX7A's and that may be why I have not heard any noise.

I'm very impressed with the Sunn 1200S. I owned an Eden WT-800 and the Sunn sounds much better to me.

Chuck