Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunn 1200s and Powerhouse 1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fretless5verfan, Sep 22, 2002.

1. I'm planning on getting a new rig soon. I play lots of old and new school progressive music so i'm looking for a rig that can produce my badass roscoe sound like it deserves to be produced(which is loud enough to be be heard over my two guitarists in a half basketball court size area) I'm thinking of getting a sunn 1200s and pairing it up with a mesa powerhouse 1000. will this do justice to my mighty six string roscoe? should i get another preamp/amp? two smaller cabs? am i a moron? I'm somewhat ignorant when it comes to playing live (this will be our first semi-large gig of many) so all sorts of feedback is appriciated :)

2. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I bought a Mesa Powerhouse 1000 and ended up returning it before my 30 days at Guitar Center were up.........not because of the sound.....because of the size/weight. I thought the cabinet sounded great with my Ampeg SVP-Pro and Ashly 1000 watt power amp. It was tight and handled my low-B strung Ric with no problem. Also as loud as I could ever need. I certainly would have kept it but am just tired of lifting heavy cabs at 3am after gigs. Don't get me wrong.....if you like the sound, the size and weight may be worth it for you......just not for me. I ended up going with Mesa Diesel cabs (a 2x10 and a 1x15) and have been content ever since:D

I have no experience with the Sunn 1200.............

3. how does the 2x10 and 1x15 sound compared to the powerhouse?

4. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    That's hard to say since I didn't play them side by side.....but I would say that the Powerhouse 1000 sounded a little more, I don't know, full. I'm sure having all of the speakers sharing the same cabinet air and the extra 2 10's are reasons for this. That being said.......I have no complaints about my current setup....either with tone or size/weight. I play in a metal band with a loud drummer and a guitarist with 2 100 watt Marshall 1/2 stacks and never have a problem getting needed volume while maintaining great tone. I think the 2x10 and 1x15 is the best of all worlds........if you need a small rig for small practice....just take one cabinet.......if you want to shake the walls....take both.