Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunn 1200S / Fender Bassman 1200 PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toddtodd, Jun 8, 2005.

1. i just got one of these off of ebay.
    can someone give me a refrence of the graphic eq as "knobs"
    i have a GK800RB also, where would the low, lo-mid, hi-mid, and high be on a 11 band graphic EQ?
    where should i start out on the compressor(s)?

any tips/help would be apriciated!

thanks

-todd

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Congradulations on winning the ultimate option-anxiety amp! That thing has so many features (all useful), you'll spend hours finding "your sound."

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, to the left is low, to the right is high, in the middle are the mids (Duh :p) pretty much in between the lows and mids is the low mids etc. But it all depends what frequancy you want boosted..

Have fun!

4. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I just got one as well from SMASH...insane tone shaping. Currently I don't have the graphic EQ as I haven't had the time and sanity to dial that in plus the dials. I have the hi-boost on because it likes to get really bassy/muddy quickly on my 1x15 cab. I can take a pic of my setup tomorrow if you are interested.

The compressor is a must I think, at least for metal it really helps it cut through evenly.

http://www.sunnamps.com has a few good setups to get you started. From a Black Sabbath/Cream vintage tone to Jaco it gives you some places to start on your tone

5. soldiss

soldiss

May 31, 2005
    how heavy is this sucker. and what's a good price to pay for one used?

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus

Yes.. Because 60 + 44 = 100, smash :eyebrow:

j/k ;)

7. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    After my first show with my Sunn 1200S it goes above 100% easily :)

Insanely loud with an 8x10 I was afraid I was going to break out the windows behind us!

Definately watch out for the lowend building up it gets boomy fast!

Compression really helps my tone I think. I played with the Compression gain and unlocked a ton of volume. I think I was only at 5 and I was keeping up with 2 half stacks just fine with plenty of power to spare.

8. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I just got the SUNN 300T, which has the same EQ and other controls as the 1200. Not many tweaks to do to get my sound !!! Absolutely great amp ! Good luck with the 1200 !

9. Congrats...I had the SUNN 1200 for about a year. I could create man-made earthquakes with that thing. The power is awesome.
    Be easy with it, you can hurt people!!

10. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    For myself, I never seen so much power coming from a head. I know there are some out there that are more powerful, but man, the SUNN 300T is really loud !!! There is only one way to playwith them, and it's loud !!!! :bassist:

But, the best thing is that they are clean and can be dirty too !!!!

11. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I had one of these and should have never sold it. Truely an awesome amp. Played it through a 2x10 and 1x15 and it shook the windows in the house without breaking a sweat.