1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sunn 1200s/Fender Bassman 1200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J10elynne, Oct 8, 2009.

1. J10elynne

J10elynne

Apr 15, 2009
    I'm currently using the Ampeg SVT CL classic. I'm thinking about possibly changing.

one head that i've been thinking about is the Fender Bassman 1200, which i believe is also the same as the Sunn 1200s.

anyone have any input on these amps?

am i out of my mind?
    or am i just never 100% satisfied with my tone and this i can find better?

oZZma likes this.
  2. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    used tohe 1200 pro while my sm900 was rented. NO comparrison, sm900 has so much more balls to it. the 1200 was only rated at 550 at 8 ohms. and even when my pre was only at 5 I was farting the amp out bad.

the tone is good, but its so heavy and you NEED a 4 ohm load for any power.

oZZma likes this.
  3. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I have had a Bassman 1200 for a few years and here's what my experiance has been, you have to really spend some time with the amp, in dialing in the tone you want, I've run this amp into 2, TL-606 cabinets, loaded with Eminence 3015's, and I can assure you that this amp will move some air, the preamp section of this amp, has 2 channels, Channel one is clean, has a preamp tube ( 12ax7 )and it really doesn't have a very tubey sound to it, seems that the tube put's a little warmth to it, and the second channel is the so called dirty channel, it has a drive control so one can get it really over driven, and it also has a preamp tube ( 12ax7 ) as a side note, channel 2 is really not usable as a stand alone channel as the sound is like a cheap fuzz box, however you can blend the dirty channel into the clean channel and get a somewhat gritty tube sound, but it is not like the SVT sound, it's somewhat close, but not the real deal, however this amp responds well to tube rolling, I'm currently running a sylvania JAN 5157 in VI position and a Tung-Sol 12axy in V2 position, the amp came with Fender/GT branded 12ax7wa tubes ..... I will say this amp also sounds really good through a late 1990's Ampeg 8x10,, it has a nice low-mid punch, which the 8x10 cab is somewhat noted for, The sounds that you get out of this amp, when using a VT Pedal are also good, it is the closest, you'll ever get to the SVT sound, with the volume that goes with it ( I personally like the VT Pedal setting closer to the Fat tube setting ), The amp has a mid-notch switch, which, if you like the scooped sound, .... as to the power ratings, 8 ohms is about 500 watts RMS, 4 ohms is about 800 watts RMS, 2 ohms is 1200 watts RMS, since the power amp is a solid state design, you'll have a tight bass sound ... IMHO, the Basman 1200 is also very close, if not an exact copy of the Sunn 1200s, I've been told that the differances are the color of the circuit board, and the Bassman has better heat sinking, this amp is heavy, about 45 LBS. ... would I recommend this amp over a Ampeg SVT ... I can't say, as tone is way to subjective, but I'll say, you can get your own tone out of this amp, if you willing to spend some time with it, I also have the Bassman 300 which has the same preamp controls and I can say they are two very different sounding amps ...would I keep the Bassman 1200 .... yes

oZZma likes this.