Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunn 1200s (Speaker / Ohm Question)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sincity, Oct 1, 2003.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I recently picked up a Sunn 1200s head, which I think kicks ass, and wanted to know if I can run the following cabs together without degrading the sound or frying something inside the amp.

Cabs:

Ampeg 4x10 HLN 500 Watts @ 4 Ohms
    Aguilar 1x12 300 watts @ 8 Ohms

I really want to use the Aguilar as a monitor or just put on top of the Ampeg so I can hear better. Sometimes I have to stand too close to my Ampeg cab, and the sound passes by me without much definition. If the back of my knees had ears, they would be deaf.

Thanks for your response.

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I dont know the specs of the amp. If it is stereo then you could run one cab off each channel and that would be ok. If it is not stereo you would not want to run both cabs in parallel connected to the same output. I dont think it would hurt the amp but a parallel 4ohm/8ohm load results in 2.67 ohms total. The 4 ohm cab would overpower the 8 ohm cab. Besides I doubt that the 112 would help you hear whats coming out of the 410 better.

3. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    The amp puts out 1200 watts. The specs do not break down whether it is 1200 watts @ 2 Ohms,
    750 @ 4Ohms etc.

It is not a stereo head, so I can't bi-amp the cabs. So as you said, the load on the amp will probably be 2.67 ohms.

It is not that I want to hear what is coming out of the 4x10, I just want to hear what I am playing more clearly.

Thanks for the reply.

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Ok I would just stick with the 410. If you connected them together the 410 would be louder because of its lower impedance. Do you ever work with a PA? A wedge monitor would solve your problem. I can sympathize because I use a 210 most of the time and standing it on end doesnt help much. I play in an acoustic band though so I dont usually have a problem hearing myself. Or... solution B would be to (forcefully) make your guitarist turn it down! :D

5. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
  6. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks pbd.

That looks pretty good. Its maximum weight is right on the edge of my cabs weight, but, that is the right idea.

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    The amp is rated at 1200 at 2ohms and has 4 speaker outs.

Thus, you could run the following:

- 4 8ohm cabs
    - 2 4ohm cabs
    - 1 8ohm, 1 4ohm and another 8ohm (if desired)

Whatever the combo you use, just make sure it doesn't add up to less than 2ohms total.