Sunn 1200s vs Ampeg SVT-4pro vs Ampeg SVT-5pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EBMatt, Nov 21, 2003.

1. EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    This is my dilema: Right now I have a Sunn 1200s head (same thing as a fender bassman 1200 pro). This is a 2-channel 1200watt head with a 10 band graphic EQ.
    I'm not totally satisfied with the tone I'm getting right now. I'm looking at the Ampeg SVT-4 or SVT-5 as options. Does anybody have any suggestions on these heads or heads similar to these?

P.S. - I mainly play a Fender Am Dlx Jazz 4-string. My cab is an Ampeg 6x10HLF. I play rock. I'm looking to spend around $1500.00

P.S.S - I've been playing guitar for 8yrs but bass for only one year, so any suggestions at all will be very helpful:confused:
  2. god damn man after 1 year u have got the delux the amp u already have a 6x10 and u want another amp holy crap. rich guy or what. i know some of you will disagree with what i said but man i would kill for a setup like that i have been playin guitar for like 7 years and bass for about 1.5 and i am stil workin on a 2x10 for my ibanez srx 300. i am just a little jelous thats all and i know i cant spell.
  3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Forget solid state, get this:

2 channel 300 watt all tube amp. :bassist:
  4. Well, i've heard good things about the SVT-4, but not much at all about the SVT-5. I'm actually curious to hear what people have to say about your options this time around. Personally, if your just looking to imrpove your tone, you might want to conder a few things.

Do you want a Fatter, more round tone?
    More Hi-Fi?
    More Trebel? Bass?
    Need to cut better in a band?

Maybe a new amp isn't the best choice, if your only looking to define your sound, unless you really want that tube crunch (which in my opinion, is the ONLY sound)

Maybe a preamp would be a better choice. A sonic Maximizer? Just a few other options that may be cheaper...

If your a cash spender, maybe a new amp would be a good idea, but research it up good. you don't want another powerhouse, with no tone.
  5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I don't know the SVT-5 Pro, but I tried both others.

Hands down, I prefer the Sunn 1200S (now called Fender Bassman 1200) over the SVT-4 pro. Tonewise.

Just a personal taste, as usual.