1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sunn 1200s vs Ampeg SVT-4pro vs Ampeg SVT-5pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EBMatt, Nov 21, 2003.

1. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    This is my dilema: Right now I have a Sunn 1200s head (same thing as a fender bassman 1200 pro). This is a 2-channel 1200watt head with a 10 band graphic EQ.
    I'm not totally satisfied with the tone I'm getting right now. I'm looking at the Ampeg SVT-4 or SVT-5 as options. Does anybody have any suggestions on these heads or heads similar to these?

P.S. - I mainly play a Fender Am Dlx Jazz 4-string. My cab is an Ampeg 6x10HLF. I play rock. I'm looking to spend around $1500.00

P.S.S - I've been playing guitar for 8yrs but bass for only one year, so any suggestions at all will be very helpful:confused:

2. god damn man after 1 year u have got the delux the amp u already have a 6x10 and u want another amp holy crap. rich guy or what. i know some of you will disagree with what i said but man i would kill for a setup like that i have been playin guitar for like 7 years and bass for about 1.5 and i am stil workin on a 2x10 for my ibanez srx 300. i am just a little jelous thats all and i know i cant spell.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Forget solid state, get this:
    [​IMG]

2 channel 300 watt all tube amp. :bassist:

4. Well, i've heard good things about the SVT-4, but not much at all about the SVT-5. I'm actually curious to hear what people have to say about your options this time around. Personally, if your just looking to imrpove your tone, you might want to conder a few things.

Do you want a Fatter, more round tone?
    More Hi-Fi?
    More Trebel? Bass?
    Need to cut better in a band?

Maybe a new amp isn't the best choice, if your only looking to define your sound, unless you really want that tube crunch (which in my opinion, is the ONLY sound)

Maybe a preamp would be a better choice. A sonic Maximizer? Just a few other options that may be cheaper...

If your a cash spender, maybe a new amp would be a good idea, but research it up good. you don't want another powerhouse, with no tone.

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    I don't know the SVT-5 Pro, but I tried both others.

Hands down, I prefer the Sunn 1200S (now called Fender Bassman 1200) over the SVT-4 pro. Tonewise.

Just a personal taste, as usual.

Cheers,
    JL