1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SUNN 1x15 Cabinets

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by spellcaster, Jun 15, 2012.

1. spellcaster

spellcaster

Mar 20, 2007
    NY-DC
    SOLD

sunscabs.jpg

Dimensions: 24x24x15

Very solid and sound incredible. These are in extremely nice shape and would consider them just a hair from being mint.

Took me years to find a pair in such amazing condition and they have proven to be far more flexible then the Sunn 2x15's that I had.

Selling unloaded to give more flexibility of driver options.

$550 each ( SOLD!!! )

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Oh wow ! Use to have one of those with a D-140. Free bump

3. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Selling unloaded to give more flexibility of driver options.

You are not going to sell these with the speakers in them or you don't have speakers for them?

4. spellcaster

spellcaster

Mar 20, 2007
    NY-DC
    Since these cabs have always been very versatile with various drivers that I tried, I thought it would open up more options for players to choose what might work best for their amp/power needs.

I do have a mint JBL D-140 (16ohm) if your interested.

5. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mmmmm, free bump for some sexy Sunn gear. Essentially half of the 200s cab, right?

BTW, where'd you get your case for the 2000s, I need to get one for mine too.

6. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley

How much for the cabs loaded and what is the ohm & power rating.

7. spellcaster

spellcaster

Mar 20, 2007
    NY-DC
    I do not have drivers for these cabs but I would certainly recommend the JBL D140, or K140 but if I needed a modern driver with a higher a power rating I might try the BG15C based on what I read in Tom Bowlus's Bass Gear Magazine #7 about how the Reeves 1x15 cabs were based on the Sunn cabinet design.

"One of the cabs that they used back when they were testing the Custom 225 prototype was a Sunn 2x15 with slotted ports.Everyone liked the way that cab sounded with the Reeves head, so when Bill and co. Set out to build their own line of bass cabs to support the C225 (the 400 would come later), the first thing he wanted to try was a slot-ported 1x15. I believe this was a smart call, as was enlisting the help of a number of local bass players to assist in the process. Through a process of trial and error – which included swapping out lots of different drivers and trying a couple of different cabinet configurations – they came up with their first official bass cab design. The driver which they settled on is a custom version of the ceramic-magnet Warehouse Guitar Speakers BG15C."

The rest of the article can be found here:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2017
  8. spellcaster

spellcaster

Mar 20, 2007
    NY-DC
    Hey Dylan,

Yeah, They are essentially half the 200s cabs but perhaps with slightly more internal volume.

The case was just a random find in a shop in Norman OK while I was passing through. I'll take a closer look to see if I can find any info on who made it. I'd certainly recommend one if you can swing it for that super sweet 2000s you have.

9. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Great, thanks man, got to protect my investment!

10. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    I think those are the front loading 115S cabs, which are actually half of the later model 215S rather than half of a 200S cab. Besides the front loading thing, they don't have the internal port ducting of the 200S (or the Sonic I-40 cab which is half of a 200S).

More practical than the I-40 cabs IMO, the 115S/215S is able to fit just about any 15" driver which the I-40 and 200S struggle with.
    You are correct about the Reeves reference, they used a 215S cab when designing their 115 cab, and the Reeves 115 is essentially a Sunn 115S with a "smidgen" more internal volume.

I'd love to snag your cabs; they flat rock with K140's in them!

11. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    spell,

You part with these Sunn cabs your gonna regret it forevvvveeeerrrrrrrr....

Wish I could get them....:bawl:

12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Me too, amazing sounding cab.

13. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Although I think mine was slightly smaller in overall size, with a slanted shelf type of port with a K-140. That was heaven with a 72 P Bass and a GK 400B (1979 era) .

Sorry for the derail, but anyone know why that type of slant duct fell out of favor?

14. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    I think it they switched for a couple of reasons, probably mostly ease of manufacturing. The older cabs were rear loaded and were much more cumbersome to load and unload, requiring not only more labor time but also needing a couple dozen screws and finishing washers to fasten the back panel.
    Also during the era of the ducted port cabs, Sunn used AlNiCo motored JBLs as OEM in them. The internal port ducting left ample room for the relatively compact AlNiCo magnet structure, but was less forgiving with larger ceramic magnets, making the ducted cabs impractical for then new lower priced Sunn branded ceramic speakers and making the switch from JBL to Cerwin Vega drivers as the "premium" speaker option not possible.

I wasn't personally "there" when the Sundholm/Hartzell transition changes happened, in fact I was just a pup, but I'm pretty sure that's why the cabs changed.
    I do have both styles of cabs loaded with a variety of drivers though, and IMO neither cab has a tonal advantage or disadvantage over the other. I find the later cabs more versatile however.

15. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Interesting...

16. spellcaster

spellcaster

Mar 20, 2007
    NY-DC
    Cabinets have been sold and will be going back close to where they were built.

Thanks everyone for your interest, comments and questions!

17. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    East Coast
    are these 115s sunns similar to the old flared vent yamaha J-115L's

18. mc2ny

mc2ny

Aug 1, 2003
    Nice!

I have the identical rig but in the earlier pre-mid 1968 grill cloth.