Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunn 2000S ..$$..??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I was reading a post on these and remembered an old band friend of mine has a 2000S. I called him and he said he would part with it. He said it proly needs tubes... Maybe not.? But it may need a cap job. It has been used up until last year, and he said it is too bassy for his tastes now. He is using a SS amp now.....How much should I offer him.??

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I'd say $250-300...

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    sounds good. I got a sceptre (2x 6550 tubes instead of 4) here at TB for $125

4. Rockbobmel

You mean US $$, right? Oh, and can you use KT88s in it?

5. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Yes, I mean US $.
    About the KT88's, I really don't know.
    All the best,
    JL

6. Rockbobmel

I offered him $200.ish.... We'll talk again tonight. Where is Rich Brier?

7. hi there---i have many sunn heads, mostly 200's and a few sonaro's a 2000s is worth 600-800 us dollar if working, if you have to replace the tubes and caps plan on 400-500 bucks, try it as is, the tube are probably original and i bet they sound awesome...nothing sounds like a sunn !!!it may not be the sound your looking for though...very sixties sounding, big bottom with crunch and loads of headroom....

8. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

If you can grab that amp for $200-$300, get it and run. Getting them back to top condition should be done by a repair guy who loves 'em.............not a hack. :^>)

Is it WORTH $800. ?? If more people knew what a great amp the 20000s is, they sure would be. Fortunately, Sunn has been pretty much forgotten about and you can get a KILLER amp for reasonable prices.

RB

9. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    yeah there are some amps from 60's/70's that have been almost forgotten, though they are pure killers. sunn of course, but also acoustic or kustom. and mi (musique industrie) if you know them (a retired french company)

i prefer the sunn over all the others, though

all the best,
    jl

10. Rockbobmel

Now he wants to wait till after the weekend. I hope I don't miss it.

11. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I paid $400 for mine 3 years ago and it had been completely gone through. New tubes, bias, and all weak components replaced. Cosmetics were a bit rough, but it is 34 years old. It has been 100% reliable. If you can pick that amp up for $200, go for it, your stealing it. BTW I run mine at 2.67 ohms and it performs flawlessly. It was used just this weekend for a 10hr jam session. Did I say its built like a tank. You cans see pics of it at my website.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Looks Cool Rumblethump!

[​IMG]

My Sceptre is soon to retire my Ashdown combo. I'm having it serviced and the 'High' inputs buffered to accept Active basses. I'm also replacing the drivers in my cabinets with some Weber stuff. :cool: