Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunn 200s + Ampeg 810?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Origami Kamikaz, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Origami Kamikaz

Origami Kamikaz

May 2, 2005
    So I have finally found a cab for my Sunn 200s head. I have somehow found an Ampeg SVT-810E on sale for $450. I loved the one I played with an SVT head in a Guitar Center, and I know that if I choose to sell it for whatever reason I could probably make a profit.

The question: Is there anything inherently wrong with running a ~60W tube head into 8x 10" speakers, besides the obvious volume and logistical hazards? It seems awfully underpowered.

All advice welcome!

2. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I'll let my friend The Ox(another TB'er, not Entwistle although he'd like to be) know of this thread. He's a sunn freak.

3. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Paging Dr. Ox.

You should have no troubles playing the 200s throught the 8x10. I play my Sunn Sorado (65w bass amp) through my 2x15 and I can keep up well enough but I could add another speaker to really cut through.

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'm not really sure, as i've never tried that. I have tried a Bassman 135 of similar wattage through several Ampeg 8x10s (vintage AND modern), and it sounded like complete ass. Didn't get loud, farted, harsh sounding, etc. Of course, I don't like the sound of Ampeg 8x10s, but this didn't even sound remotely like it should've. The Sunn might sound good through it, although it probably won't get too loud. Alot of reasons Sunn setups were so loud was because of their matching cabs, which had extremely efficient JBL speakers+horn loaded designs which gave you a LOT more volume-per-watt. Supposedly a 120 watt Sunn 2000s + matching 2x15 cab was just as loud (if not louder) than a 300 watt SVT with it's matching 8x10. Not sure if this is true, but they're probably very close in volume. If someone could confirm this myth, i'd be very happy. But anyways, the key to getting loud with the smaller Sunn heads is an efficient cabinet. IMO, the Ampeg 8x10s require a LOT of power to sound like they should. I'd try it though, and see if you like it. I might be wrong. :meh:

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Mine absoultely kicks arse with a measley ashdown mag 300 pushing it.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    That's still 300 watts, and a Sunn 200s can't put out nearly that amount of power (even peak). Nor can a Bassman 135. It seems to get that cab going, you need around 120 watts RMS to get that cab going (the bassman's 135 watt rating I think is peak). Maybe that's why V4Bs sound good with them, but anything lower doesn't. :confused:

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Good point! Based on my past rigs, 300 watts is a VERY low powered rig for me.....oops.

But you know how they say tube watts vs. SS. At that price, I'd still give the 810 a shot. He'll probably still be able to make a few bucks on it at that price. I bought mine for $329, the tolex was SMOKED, but the rest was fine. I recovered it and it looks pimpin new now, but looks like a cow :D