Sunn 215BH + Peavey Century.. Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arrrggghhh, Dec 16, 2004.

1. arrrggghhh

Dec 16, 2004
    Hello everyone! I've recently acquired a Sunn 215BH, as well as a Peavey Century Extended Range Musical Instrument Amplifier, but know nothing about them. I've searched around, but have been pretty unsuccessful. Can anyone tell me anything about them? Value perhaps (not that I plan on selling)? Thanks!
  2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I can't say squat about your gear but your screen name is awesome, reminds me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, the Castle AAaaaaarrrgghhhhh :p
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The 215BH was sold in the late 70s/early 80s usually together with the 200W Concert Bass head. Older ones would have silver grilles, newer ones black grilles and red graphics.

The Century was fomr the mid 80s and is rated 100 watts RMS into 4 ohms. It was intended as a "utility" amp, it included Peavey's "Saturation" distortion circuit for guitar use with a parametric midrange EQ common to their bass amps.

Should make for a decent ""old school" type setup.
  4. arrrggghhh

Dec 16, 2004
  5. chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    I paid $150 in a music store for my sunn 215bh. The drivers have been upgraded to handle more power though. I'd expect to sell it for $200-$250. It's a nice cab for the right person, looking for a particular sound, who happens to own a van.

6. arrrggghhh

Dec 16, 2004
    What exactly did you have done to it? Did you do it yourself?
  7. chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    When I bought it, the original speakers had been swapped with eminence 15s with a power handling of 150 RMS each. The replacement speakers were built in 1998, so I'm pretty confident they aren't original. There's a program floating around that helps you find a driver best suited for the box you have, but I'm not sure if it takes cabs with huge ports into consideration. Hmmmmm. 160 watts just isn't enough juice for me though.
  8. danescott

Jun 17, 2011
    Does anybody know of anybody that makes a Sunn 215BH cabinet? I tried to get a hold of LHC Art Industries that I Googled but I guess they're out of business. I also paid Monolith up front to build me some cabs but they flaked out on me. I needed them by a certain date and they didn't come through like they said they would... by a month!!! To be fair, I did get a full refund from them. For some reason the owner couldn't understand why I was pissed. He just didn't grasp the concept.
  9. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Pelham, AL
    I'm trying to find plans for a 215BH cabinet...if I do, I'll be sure to update you.