1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sunn 215BH

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LuckyStrike, May 17, 2011.

1. LuckyStrike

LuckyStrike

May 16, 2011
    Houston
    I'm a total newbee so, be kind please.

Just scored a Sunn 215BH. Man! That thing is furniture. Big as a fridge!

Has two newer black widow speakers in it, but is missing the logo plate that goes on the front. If anyone has a Sunn logo plate for a 215 bass cab they will part with please contact me.

I have a Coliseum 300 head unit currently being fixed up by a local repair shop. It should be able to support a 2 Ohm system if you wanted to get all the power out of the head unit, according to what I have read. Stock this cab was a 4 Ohm unit. I'm not sure what version of black widows are in it currently so I'm unsure of what its actual Ohm rating would be. I'll take a look at the speakers soon.

I think I did OK on the deals. I got the head at a yard sale for $35.00, but it will take around $200.00 to fix whats wrong with it.

The 215BH, with black widow speakers, I scored for a cool $100.00

So, I should be into this rig for just around $335.00 Which, as far as I can tell, is not too bad.

Any advice on this setup is welcome. I'm playing on a borrowed EB3 in keeping with the vintage theme.

Attached Files:

2. Hell yeah, dude! I've seen 15" BWs go for $50 each without a cab.

3. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I had one of those for about 7 years.

Roaring low mids, no fun to move, but it'll gitter done. :D

I had JBLs in mine.

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    NICE!! reminds me of an old Randal 2x15 cab I had for a short period of time as that sucker as HUGE and weighed way too much for me :rollno:

5. LuckyStrike

LuckyStrike

May 16, 2011
    Houston
    Just playing some very simple early punk rock in a geezer garage band, so I'm thinking roaring low mids will be OK.

The handles are good and having casters on one side helps a lot. The weight is not really a problem for me (I'm 6' 188 and work out) but its size is just a bit awkward. However, the size is also a plus at the moment because I scares my band mates a bit... hehehe.

6. tbirddad

tbirddad

Feb 22, 2006
    Nice! Brings back memories - I had two of those cabs - placed on either side of the drums - powered by a Sunn Coliseum head. Didn't like the eq much though, so I used an IVP Intersound preamp with it. Huge sound!

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That's a killer deal, especially since the amps been gone through and brought up to snuff. If you don't have an ohmeter, post the model #'s off the back of the speakers, we can tell what they are.

8. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I have fond memories of my 215BH back in the late '70s. IMO it was Sunn's best bass cab ever, even though it probably violated a slew of design rules that we take for granted today. (Or maybe it lurched uncontrollably into them and things just happened to work out.) Good luck with that thing!

9. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    As long as you don't mind moving it around you did very well . The ones I heard in the 70's were with Sunn Concert heads and they sounded great back then to me . Seemed like they could go pretty deep and still stay loud and clear .

10. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    $335 for that whole rig?

You done' good!