Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunn 2x15 Cabinet Efficiency?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sammy Camden, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Does anyone know what the efficiency of the Sunn 2x15 is rated at? I'm referring to the current, 300W, 8-ohm cab. I can't find this information anywhere.

Thanks.

2. You're supposed to not ask those questions. They want you to buy Sunn solely on reputation. You won't find the tuning frequency either. Sunn/Fender hides all sorts of infomation from you based on "tone" trade secrets reasoning.

Poppycock.

The Sunn uses Eminence Kappas if I remember correctly. I would estimate the pair of them around SPL 101 for 1w/1m. They are pretty loud, but don't go down very low.

3. That's strange. I had heard that these cabinets were supposed to have good low-end response. I wouldn't want to get something like this if it's frequency response wasn't at least as good as my Ampeg SVT-15E.

Humm! Food for thought.

4. Audition with your ears.

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Amen to that:D

As I said in the other thread, the 2x15 DOES NOT have any trouble getting low. I play a 5 string and it handles the low B very well without farting at a fairly loud volume (enough to fill a 1000 seat gym). I am impressed with it. Just my opinion though....others may hate it!

6. If I could take one out and use it at a gig before buying, I would. But the place I'm looking at with the Sunn 2x15 cab, won't let me take it unless I buy it first. Testing in a store doesn't mean squat!

7. I expect the Sunn 2x15 to be very loud, but it only reproduces the 2nd harmonic and higher between low B and A. IMO, the vast majority of bassists find this to be normal behavior and pleasing to the ear. One man's depth is another man's mud. You'll have to store-audition it to see if the tone meets your needs.

If the store won't let your turn it up, don't buy it. I'd be a prick about having it my way: get to the bank and pick up enough cash to buy the cab. Ask to demo the cab and put those dead presidents on top of the cab, and tell the guy you want to crank it and see what it sounds like. If he refuses, pick up your cash and head for the door.