Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunn 2x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hammer2748, Dec 29, 2005.

1. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Hi and good morning all -- Anyone have experience with newer generation Sunn (Fender?) 2x15? I have a line on one I think I might like as a kicker with my GK 115RBH via my 1001RB-II, just for larger venues. It is an 8-ohm cab rated at 300w rms. The asking price is $299 but think I can get it for $225-$250 range. Thoughts, opinions, experiences appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Hammer

2. I used to own one, along with (2) Sunn 410h cabs. This was a monster stack! The 2x15 sounds good, has decent low end, and nice cutting mids. Also, for a 2x15, it's somewhat portable (87lbs).

I paired it with an Ampeg SVP-Pro and a Carvin DCM2000 power amp. In the end, the rig wasn't doing it for me, and I traded the 2x15 and (1) 410 for a Peavey stack. Ultimately, it was the Ampeg preamp that wasn't cutting it, not the Sunn cabs.

In case you haven't seen it, here's a link to Fender Australia, which shows the Sunn Amps and cabs.

Sunn Au

Overall, I think it's a great cab. I say go for it!

3. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    I did....$235.00 and I gigged with the whole rig last night....WOW! The blend of warmth and mids it delivered combined with the 115RBH was absolutely fantastic without a lot of time to really dial it in.

Cheers & Happy New Year
    Hammer

4. Congrats! That's a sweet deal for that cab. That should be a great combination with the GK 1001 RB.

Happy New Year.