Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunn 2x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Jan 10, 2002.

1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    What does anyone think of them?

I currently have the chance to pick one up for $250. It's been gigged with, but is in pretty good condition.

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I believe that Hunter 585 has one of those. He can probably offer some insight into how that sounds.
    Hope that helps.

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Thanks.
    I know it's a great deal, I'm not looking for insurance, I'm looking for a description of it's tone. :)

4. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Hard to say without knowing which model. I had a '70s Model 215S ported cab which was pretty loud.

Unfortunately because of the cab design you had to be standing 20 feet in front of it to hear anything.

5. this cab is a beautiful cab, I have a new one, its only a year old. Lots of if high end for a 2-15, tihs can just sounds beautiful, and its very light, and..very worth the money

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Lots of high end?

Does it click a lot?
    Or is it pretty well rounded?

I've noticed 15"'s are one of the following...
    -Well Rounded
    -Really low
    -Middy

Which would you say the Sunn falls into, Willy?

7. pretty well rounded

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Thanks.
    I think it might be a pretty nice cab, in that case.

I've been thinking about putting together a second rig.

Maybe I'll have to squeeze together some $$ for the cab, then try to get a G-K 800RB. :)

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if you get the sunn you gotta go all tube -

there's some "plush" monstrosity on ebay for like 100 bucks, 250 watts....

or you could just get a sunn 300T and start killing children with your bass rig!

jason

10. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I tried one out and it doesn't go loud enough for me

11. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    a sunn 215 with a 300w tube head = death for everything small and innocent within a 400 yard radius. loads of fun!

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    No tubes for me.
    I find that tubes make me lose clarity.

13. how would the Sunn 2x15 sound with a hartke HA3500 , its 350 watts, has SS, and Tube preamp.

14. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Yep, I gots one. Sorry it took me so long to reply. This was posted during the time of my puter crises:(

Yes, I have a 2x15 and 300T. The 2x15 is very well rounded, as big Willy says. It's not muddy IME. As others have joking said though, it can literally make you hurt it has so much low end if EQ'd to do so. It does have excellent highs, but my only gripe is the lack of the chest hit factor that I had with my Fender BXR 60 (1x12"). The 2x15 makes you rumble:) I plan on adding a 2x10 when i get the cash to add that chest hit factor back in and really get the best power out of it.

All in all its a great cab. Extremely light with great lows, good mids and good highs.

Tubes make you lose clarity? Gimme a break:p:D