Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sunn 300T and Acme B-4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davemell0, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Davemell0

Davemell0

Nov 19, 2001
    SW Virginia
    I'm shopping around for a new bass cab, and the acmes sound really good, but I'm wondering if they know the difference between tube and solidstate power, and if my 300 watt sunn would be powerful enough to drive the acme into a range where it would be efficient. I've heard that they work best with close to 1000 watts.

2. I don't think it would. I don't have an ACME, but on the site, it says to start with 350 watts at least

For the 2x10.

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    nope, nope, nope.

4. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    The sunn 300T has the same power as an SVT head and is definitely capable of being louder. Acme's requirements everyone is talkin' about are solid state watts.

The 300T is equivalent volume of close to if not over 900 watts solid state. I don't think you'll have any trouble pushing your Acme B4.

JMO.

LKaye

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    With all due respect... Tube front ends have a natural compression that allow them to get a little louder before you hit the "sounds like sh*t" point, but if you think an SVT will keep up with a good honest 900w Crown, QSC, or the like, you're missing the boat.

I've used half a dozen SVT's and more Crown's than you can shake a stick at. I've also owned 3 Acme bottoms for the last year and used them on an honest 200 shows. Trying too run a B-4 with an SVT at a serious volume level is a recipe for heartache. You'll be pushing it to the limit all the time and beating the crap out of the tubes constantly. It would sound good tho....if you don't mind spending 400 bucks a year on tubes and biasing. As far as Sun 300's go, if it's going to do the job well with reliability, it better be head and shoulders above a GOOD 70's SVT. Acme cabinets don't like distortion, not even the nice, smooth, big, all tube kind of distortion. If you want to get loud with an Acme and sound good, you need to put some serious fire underneath it. I've seen clip lights flash on a Macrotech 2600 with a B-4 slapping. That amp would eat an SVT for breakfast.

6. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    From what I've heard here and elsewhere,Acmes dont like distortion or clipping at all.Most cabs sound good with the "soft clipping" of a tube amp,which is partly why tube amps seem so much louder than SS amps with similar power ratings.But Acmes want a clean signal.The BP review said "any clipping will sound like nasty farting in these cabs".

7. What about preamp distortion?

8. Acme cabs are great for big SS amps, but if you want to hear your tubes, Get an efficient 6-10 or a 4-10 + 2-10, and use a total load of 4 ohms. I just bought a 71 SVT, and with an Eden 4-10XLT it sounds great. Add the 2-10XLT, (both 8 ohms), it sounds unbelieveable.
    The 4-10XLT is rated at 106db, the 2-10 is 103db. I think the Acme 4-10 around 93db.I'm not sure what it is, but I had the Low B-2, and with a V4 100watt head, it sounded like the amp was ripping the speakers out of the cab. In reality, the cab was ripping the tubes out of the amp.

9. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    the sunn 300t is absolutely thunderous. you could power almost anything you need to power with that beast.

10. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    the sunn 300t is unusually loud. i think it would do fine with an acme.