Sunn 300T and Acme B1 or Acme B2?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, May 3, 2004.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Alright ya'll. As a lot of you sellers over in the classifieds know, I'm looking to buy me a 2x10 cab.'s my dilemma.

I want something that is stackable with my Sunn 300T, which is just a bit over 26" wide. As you can tell, that pretty much eliminates just about an 2x10 out there, or at least the ones I've found.

So, on to the next dilemma. I'm obviously going to have to build some sort of box for the cab to go into so that I can stack it with my 300T, and if necessary, my 2x15 (exact same width as 300T). Whatever I end up doing, it will add copious amounts of weight, but I guess I'm young so I can handle it.

Final dilemma:

The 300T is 300 watts. The Acme B2 is rated at 300-350 watts RMS with a 93dB efficiency. For the record, my Sunn 2x15 that I use is 300 watts RMS with something like a 95 dB efficiency.

The real question here is this: will my 300T be enough to push the B2? I *ALWAYS* hear that you have to pump tons of power into these babies, but I would be using approximately the power they recommend. Also, the sensitivities of both the B2 and the 2x15 I use are about the same, and the 300T pushes the 2x15 just fine.

What do you B2 users think? I'm currently in the process of finding one used (hopefully local so I can try it!). Little help please? :)

Are there ANY big-name used Acme dealers (for example, BassCentral, which sadly is NOT an Acme dealer nor do they have any used Acmes:( )??
  2. The 300T should be enough to run an Acme at moderate levels. I've had good success running a pair of them with a Trace V8 or an Aguilar DB680/DB728 (both 400 watts). With the 300T there won't be a lot of headroom left over, so your success will depend on the type of music you play and how loud you want to be.

As far as dealers go, you would have to contact Andy directly for new cabinets. I'm not certain where you might find one used.
  3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

I was mainly concerned with finding one used. They are a little bit out of my "comfortable" price range new.

Anyone else?
  4. andy_p6

Apr 5, 2004
    London, UK
    I'm also looking for a cab to go with my 300T and I know what you mean when you talk about the width of these monsters. I'm having the same problem finding something that will stack neatly below.

Acme have recently come to Australia so If you go with one i'd love to know how they match up with the head.

You could make the box for the b2 so that it has 2 lids - one at the front (speakers) and one at the rear. So when you stack it on your 2x15 you just pop off the front and rear lids, but the rest of speaker is still encased. Put casters on the rear lid and it also doubles as a handy trolley for your head when both lids are on. Then there will be no carrying involved at all (except stairs of course). -just a thought.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with your power issues.
  5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I don't know if you have a Sunn 2x15 to go along with that 300T or not, but if you don't, there is a nifty little feature of all Sunn cabinets...

the top of all their enclosures have a place for casters to sit down into the cab itself. In other words, you have "interlocking corners" in a way, but you never have to remove the casters from the cabs if you don't want to do so. So, in summary, what I'd probably end up doing is ordering a set of 4 casters from Sunn (now Fender :bawl: ) and installing them onto the bottom of the box I'll make to fit the Acme. I don't want to mess with the porting of the box or anything, so I probably won't put a back on it--just braces to support the (insane) weight of the box. I'd *LIKE* the box to look just like the 300T and the 2x15, so I'll cover it in Tolex or whatever else I can find to look like it :)

Grr.....sorry for rambling folks. It's been a long day and typing really seems to help (temporarily) relieve some of the stress from my horrible days.
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The only place I've seen used Acme's besides the usual classifieds and eBay is Bass Northwest. It's been a while since I've seen any there, though. The B2s are VERY surprisingly inexpensive ordered direct from Acme. $381 for teh B2-W, and $480 for the standard B2. Not bad at all.
  7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I agree with what oddio said. Moderate levels will be good but if you want to turn it up loud you may be disappointed. IMO distortion sounds bad through the Acme speakers. The loudest amp Ive ever owned, the SVT-CL, sounded not-so-loud through by Acme B4 because I had to keep the amp in the clean range. When it started to distort the sound was awful.
  8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    If we go strictly by numbers, the sensitivity of the Acme is just barely lower (if any at all) than the sensitivity of my Sunn 2x15, so judging by what has been said, I think I will be alright :)

I've already looked at Bass Northwest and Bass Central. They have none. :(
  9. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I wouldnt go by the numbers. At least dont compare the sensitivity of the Sunn 215 and the Acme. That doesnt tell the whole story. I was disappointed in my Acme cabs. A lot of people really like them but they just didnt work for me. If you really want one go for it. Last time I was in GuitarX in Denver he still had the B2 I traded in.
  10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I just called GuitarX and he said they didn't have one. They've had 3 that he can remember and they all sold for around $250-$300, so I'm liking the sound of used right now :D

That's exactly what I'm looking for--shops that aren't widely known that might carry used Acme products.

Anyone else??
  11. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Come on folks--I KNOW that more of you folks use the B2's than are showing up here. Lemme know what you think of them and where I can get them used!!!! :) :hyper:
  12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
  13. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    As a guy who owns and loves a whole closet full of Acme....

I wouldn't point anything less than a thousand watts at a B-2 or B-4

As has already been pointed out, they need clean, clean, clean power.

Those boxes have a radically different sound then just about everything else out there so, if you try to use it in conjunction with a different cab, they are gonna fight. When you get what you want out of one the other is going to sound like junk and vice versa.

At least thats been my experience using Acme exclusively over the last three years.
  14. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I've already decided that I'm not going to buy one of these sight unseen unless there is a 24-hr return policy or something.

I understand that all cabs handle differently, but I can't imagine my 300 watts of all-tube power not being able to adequately drive 2-10 inch speakers.

Guess we'll have to see :D

The final question remains unanswered---anywhere I can find one of these used?
  15. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Thats what I thought too...
  16. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

ok I said, I'm not going to buy one totally sight unseen. I *HAVE* to try one though--I've heard too many good things about them.

For those of you who don't think the B2 is going to be my cup o' tea, what can you suggest for a 2x10?
  17. amac

Oct 9, 2002
    Commerce, Georgia
    I just ordered a b2 that I'll be pushing with a qsc plx 1602. As far as having to try one first, Andy offers a two week trial period. So you'd just be out the shipping cost.

I'll try to post back and let you know how 300 watts sounds through this. I'll be able to run 300 watts through the cab (8 ohm) running stereo and 1100 watts running bridged. It will be about 2-3 weeks before it arrives.
  18. As always, any discussion of these cabs needs to be prefaced by "your mileage may vary depending on use". A really striking example is contrasting my opinion versus Metron's when we are talking about the exact same cab (I bought his B2 2x10).

Like bikertrash, once the speakers were broken in, I normally run 1000 watts. I have done many jazz and coffee house gigs with both a Stewart half rack 200 watt amp and my SWR Studio 220 (220 watts into 4 Ohms). As part of the multiple, ongoing "how many watts for Acme" discussions, I put my little Studio 220 to the test and did a small (50 person room), loud (zydeco) gig with my Acme 2x10. Played about 3 hours of music and the little amp did fine and sounded great.

Note that the S220 is rated down to 2 Ohms so it has plenty of guts. I propped up the front of the amp to increase airflow, and although it got hot, it did the gig. Another note about that night is that the sound texture of zydeco is fairly dense, so that the bass doesn't have to fill a lot of sonic room, but it often has to be on top of the mix. For an electric blues/rock trio in the same room, I might have needed more power.

Although I have combined my B2 with another cab (SWR GII 4x10), I don't necessarily recommend it unless the sensitivity rating of the other cab is very close to the Acme and you have a stereo power amp to adjust levels. If you are getting plenty of booty out of the 2x15, why not try an Avatar 2x10 with it? Lots of folks on this board like them and it would add punch and presence to the 2x15.
  19. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004

I'm selling a Low B-2, but I'm going away on Sunday and I'd need cash by tomorrow so I can head down to UPS and send it. Personally, I LOVE the sound of the Low B-2, but it's just not loud enough for me. I'm crazy though... I'm going with 2 Eden 410XLT's now. If you're sure that an Acme is what you want, I'd sell it for... $350 shipped? It's the 8 Ohm version by the way. Let me know if you're interested... I'd be willing to negotiate.