Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunn 300t bass heads?!?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RockFiend, Apr 26, 2001.

1. RockFiend

RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    I'm looking at buying a new Sunn 300t bass head,, built in distortion, compressor, blended channels, 300 watts of tubes, just wondering, for those of whom are familiar witht his amp,,,, what do i need to know? any information about anything i should be lookng into before i buy this amp, or what is really awesome about it would be much appreciated...

i've played a few times and the tone is excellent, it packs morrrreee than enough punch and it has options for your tone,, now i just need to know about any hidden things that might pop up with it????

2. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Ive tried one a few times and liked it alot.Only negative i can think of is the size/weight thing.Still,that all tube sound is worth a little sufferin.Give the FDP a try.I know a few of the folks over there have them and can give you more insight to them than i can.Good luck!

3. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
    Had one back in the 70's and loved the tone from this baby.Gigged alot with this and a Sunn 215RH bottom,never had a ounce of problems.Very reliable back then.

4. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I opted to go with the 1200 S, just cause of the weight thing. The bass I was using at the time didn't sound great with that head. I still use a 31 band eq with the sunn head to make things more exactly how I like it sounding. I didn't have the eq with the 300T. It had a ton of warm volume and some great flexibility and features as you mentioned. I've had no trouble in two years with the 1200 head.

If you don't mind the shlep, it's certainly a value leader.

LKaye

5. RockFiend

RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    thanks for the input fellas,,, i've heard some hardware problems with this amp before, but i think all the complaints were aminly due to in-store problems,,, not like breakdown after use, but more of a shipping or factory direct problem, the amp that i've been looking at is in fine condition right now, and i don't expect it'll breakdown on me,, i have no problem with the weight thing but i'll look into the 1200, once again thanks for the feedback