Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunn 300T for Ampeg SVT3 Pro...would you trade?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 1tallbassguy, Apr 29, 2004.

1. I have been offered a SVT3 Pro and some cash (amount undetermined as of yet) for my SUNN 300T. Would you trade and why or why not.
    Both amps are in excellent "like new" working condition.

2. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    300 full tubes vs 450w hybrid, according to me i'll keep up the sunn .... More personality than the 10000000's svt made ...

3. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    30 lashes for even considering the trade! :mad:

If you can't lift the head, then do what you have to do.

What is it about the Sunn that has you don't like?

4. I'd keep for sure. Not a fan of the svt 3 on a good day, but when deciding between a sunn 300t and the svt 3, the sunn just blows it away imho.

5. KEEP THE SUNN! Why did they ever get shut down?

6. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    The SVT 3-Pro really only has about 300 watts at 4 ohms. 450 is a figment of some ad-writers imagination.

Keep the Sunn, and put a nice, matched set of JJ's in it!

7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    From a fellow Sunn 300T owner, KEEP THE SUNN!!!

I've played both, and the Sunn blows the Ampeg away in every category in my opinion.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I might do it for a 4Pro, definitely not for a 3, tho. The 3 is lacking in headroom and won't get anywhere near the volume or grunt of the Sunn. If that matters to you.

9. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Yes, keep the damn Sunn.

10. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Always keep a Sunn. [​IMG][​IMG]

11. Appears to be unanimous 9 of 9 of you say keep Sunn, so that is probably good advice. Thanks for the info on the SVT3, I would have been stick ****tin mad if I would have done somthing stupid.

12. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Keep the Sunn and don't even think about trading it for anything else. The 300T has been the best tube amp I had a chance to play (not for long, though, only a couple of weeks) and that amp does have some balls.

13. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Sunn

14. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i wouldn't say it would be stupid, just something you'll regret. you could always trade the sunn to me for my swr bass 350 if you really want to get rid of it ;)

15. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Boooooooo!!!!! :spit:

Hehe j/k....There is no Ampeg that can match a Sunn, IMO. I love mine more than life itself :D

16. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'll trade you my SVT-3 Pro for your Sunn....

I played a 200s> 2 JBL D140's, and OH MY GOD. I died. Whole set was going for $500....
    Sold in a DAY. I was pinching pennies and contemplating what I could sell to get it... but when I came back it was gone... boo hoo.

17. Um after doing the calculations at the shop my SVT-3 was pushing a clean 450something

18. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Numbers are useless, my friend;) Sound is what matters.

19. Exactly and for what im doint the SVT-3 more than cuts it. My numbers were refering to the comment above about the 3 only pushing 300 watts. Im all about tubes but mainly for guitar. to heavy even for me.

20. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    How much does a used 300T usually go for?