Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sunn 300t vs. fender b'man 400 + a 15...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shilohlane, Jul 15, 2001.

1. shilohlane

shilohlane

Jul 15, 2001
    denver, CO
    for about the same amount of money, i can get a sunn 300t OR the fender bassman 400 combo(2 10's) run to a separate 15 cabinet and then back in. i love the tone of both, and both are p-l-e-n-t-y loud.
    butbutbut: for touring i think the fender would be easier/more reliable, but then the sunn is definitely cooler, i just need an outside opinion, esp. from someone who has toured!! tubes vs. great solid state?
    i play fast rock, in smaller clubs for time being, and this much money is kind of stomach-churning...
    anyway, the sunn is on hold for me, for 24 hours, while i mull it over. anyone?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Welcome to TB!!! :)

I played the Sunn 300T & I liked it. If I'm not mistaken it's was designrd by the same guy that created the Ampeg SVT's. It's kinda like an SVT II PRO. If you're gonna run it through only a 15" cab, you will be over-powering the cab & possibly blow it.

I played the Fender 400 210 combo & I didn't like it @ all. too many knobs, too much shaping of the mids, high's & low's. I thought it sounded OK but it took me a while to dial a sound I liked.

If you liked the Fender, it sounds like it will be better for your situation. The 2x10's & the 15" cab will work good together.

Good luck.

3. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Some things to consider:

1. The Sunn is a more expensive amplifier than the Fender.

2. The Sunn is a tube head, while the Fender is solid state.

3. The Bassman is a combo, and the Sunn is a head. Unless you used the Sunn with speakers similar to the Fender's, a better comparision would be the Bassman 400 head against the Sunn.

4. The Fender Bassman 400 combo does not have a jack for an extension speaker so you could not hook up a 15" speaker to it.

4. shilohlane

shilohlane

Jul 15, 2001
    denver, CO
    thanks for the welcome, this site is really useful and cool and all that stuff.
    i guess i needed to write a much clearer question than i did. i'll do better next time.

if i may tell you, i paid $600 for the sunn this morning(wooo- $1000 off "list"), and am running it to a hartke 410 AND then the 15. it sounds, um, really, really good.

thanks for the responses!

5. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    man, i wish i could buy a sunn 300 for 600 bux! that's a steal!

6. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Sounds like a <b>GREAT DEAL!!!!</b> Congrats on the new addition to the family.

7. shilohlane

shilohlane

Jul 15, 2001
    denver, CO
    yeah, i almost feel like i got away with something...
    BUT i just read the manual (i had to get it online) and lo and behold, in back by the tubes ive got red-green-green lights when its on!! already a blown fuse?!
    do you have to bias the tubes when they are brand new?
    and we have a show wednesday night! is this any indication of what i am in for???

8. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Man, I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm having problem's downloading the manual (cause my computer SUCKS). Are the 2 cabs you're running the right ohmage? I don't know what else it could be.

9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I have a 300T and 215 cab. I'm really impressed with both so far, and haven't had a bit of trouble with either. As nino said, is the impedence of the cabs you are using correct? I don't know what your knowledge of impedence, etc. is, but if you don't have them right it could blow a fuse or even worse. I find it hard to beleive that you blew a fuse on a brand new amp on the first day you have it...however the lights in the back don't lie. Just check your impedence and if it's right, take it to a tech and see what the deal is.

10. shilohlane

shilohlane

Jul 15, 2001
    denver, CO
    well, it turns out that when i ran it through my buddies marshall 4x12 (just to hear it...), i had the switch to 8 ohms, but his cab is 8 ohms STEREO, and only 4 mono, so do you think that is the problem?
    hunter, do you take extra care to plug into surge protectors and stuff with yours, since the 300T has those tiny .1 amp fuses on back?

another q for those with tubes:
    the manual has a how-to-bias-your-tubes in 90 words or less, but then it also says, "do not remove the back cover, no customer serviceable parts" should biasing be left to pros, or is it pretty much like changing your oil or something?