Sunn 410H issues (jack & horn)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nicoli, Jan 8, 2004.

1. So I was playing the old bass yesterday after having just plugged into my cab, and there was a sort of sizzle and then a bit of a pop and then nothing. I went through the usual diagnostics, and I've determined it's the 1/4" jack on the speaker cabinet that is the problem. Two questions:

1) What are the chances of the second jack crapping out on me now too? I have a rather important gig on Saturday that would be most inconvenient to have my cab stop working during... of course I'd still have my 1x15 on the bottom but the 4x10 is the one that will be mic'd.

2) Is this a difficult fix? Think I could do it myself? What's involved?

Also, the horn on this cab hasn't worked since I bought it used a couple years ago. I assume it's just the case of one of those bulbs being burnt out, so I figure if I'm going to be in there I might as well take a shot at fixing that up too. Anyone know what's involved here?

Anyone have experience working on one of these cabs?
  2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    If the other input is not cutting out or loose it probably will work just fine.

Although I haven't worked on that exact cab I've repaired a few. If you can figure out how to get into the cabinet, check first to see if any wiring has fallen off the horn. I had this happen recently. If all wiring looks properly connected, check the fuse for the horn. If you replace the fuse and still doesn't work, you have a dead horn. On some cabs you can remove a handle and see inside or maybe the backing plate that the input is on. Do you know how to solder? If the input is broken, you will have to remove the nut on the outside that holds it on the backing plate, unsolder the wires connected to it and be sure to mark which wire goes to which input lug, replace the input jack, and resolder the wires the same way they came off. It is pretty easy. If you are not comfortable doing this I suggest you use the second input until it breaks and then get them both replaced. This is a common problem with speaker cabs so I wouldn't worry too much.
  3. Thanks for the reply... I'll enlist the help of one of my more mechanically inclined friends to help out and I'm sure we'll be able to do it.

If anyone has any experience with this particular cab it would be cool to hear about it.