Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunn 4x10's? and attempting to try a goliath sr

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Mar 11, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my local music store offered me a great deal on a pair of sunn 4x10's that had been sitting in their store for a long time. 350 a piece. how good of a price is that?

now i went in there to check out the goliath sr. got my rack and bass in there and wired it up, only to see that the grille had been kicked in, and the speakers were toast and sounded like ass. crap.

i didn't play the sunns for very long, because my preamp was acting up too (i need to be more gentle with my rack - my tubes went microphonic AGAIN), but they sounded pretty nice.

should i bother? btw they wanted 1100 for the sr...but they still don't know if they're going to return it to the factory or recone the speakers and put a big discount on it. i called dibs on it if they choose to do it that way...but what's the normal going rate for a new Sr.?

too many choices. i really want to get all this stuff taken care of.

jason

2. First of all did you like the sunn 4-10?If you did they go for about 440.00 on most web sites,My local dealer offerd me one of them for 350.00 also.It seemed pretty fair for a decent cab to me.I ab ed it with a boogie deisel and an ampeg hlf and personally i liket it better than the others for considerably less moey.

3. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    All the Sunn stuff at my local dealer is on clearance,they have the 1200s head for $650.00.That's $260.00 less than I paid for mine about a year ago.I wonder if Fender is giving up on the line.Don't want to start any rumors cause I don't know.
    The 4x10 is a very deep sounding cab to my ears.punchier than most 15s,but warmer than most 4x10s.Seems to be built well and not too heavy either.

4. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    1100 is pretty ok for a sr...but you are of course going to argue it down to 950 orso

5. I've been playing the Sunn 4X10 with my Hartke head for a long time with no problems. it's much bigger than the hartke cab i used to have. the sound is great, its not too heavy and looks cool too.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I bought (and sold) a near mint Sr. for 6 bills about a year ago. Wish I'd kept it. GREAT cab.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    hmm...well actually the ones that went microphonic are GT EL84's and a sovtek 12ax7wxt+ (i think) - i ordered a set of JJ's yesterday, should get here friday.

the ei's flat out don't work anymore after dropping them from very far up.

jason