Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunn 4x15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steamboat, Aug 3, 2000.

1. No..I don't intend to buy one. I don't intend for this thread to become a discussion of the merits of 15's vs smaller speakers..large cabs vs smaller ones..or sunn vs anyone else. I'm just curious about people's experiences with freaking big cabs like this one.

That being said..has anyone ever seen/used one of these? I've seen a listing for it on BassNW, and I really can't imagine anything that big.

2. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    A 4X15? Holey socks, that's a huge darn cab! Crank that puppy up and I'll bet it would cause some serious damage. Can you say massive internal bleeding? Never seen or heard of such a thing, but I can't imagine what the application would be -- except maybe to play the Enormodome. [​IMG]

3. Is it perhaps possible that BassNW's web guy made a typing error?

[​IMG]

Andy

4. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    I haven't played through any newer Sunn 4-15s, but I've seen a couple. I used an Acoustic 4-15 for a while in the early 80s and it kicked butt. It weighed at least a couple hundred pounds, but the low end was unbelievable. It had 2 forward facing 15s and 2 that faced each other (horizonal) in the center. I would only use something like that today if I had a roadie.

------------------
    Paul

5. That's really something different from that 2 by 10 you're building right now isn't it?

I once read a description of a 4 by 15 which were in a W shape. Two pairs of 15s angled towards each other something like this:
    _____
    |.../
    |...\
    |.../
    |...\
    -----

but flatter, leaving just two slots of an inch or 10 in the front. Must have been a very deep cab. If you'd stuck your head in one of them gaps... man... brain damage....
    Maybe I can put one of those in my product line (I have a cab building one man company).

------------------
    I play really bad. I'm just a guy with a lotta stuff.

[This message has been edited by Joris (edited August 04, 2000).]

6. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I've heard of such a beast. As a matter of fact, a long time ago I even contemplated building one! While I still love 15's (they're my favorite bass speaker), I've come to realize that that would really suck to try to move around. A bass playing friend of mine uses a Hartke 215 (2x15") cabinent and it sounds awesome! He uses an old skateboard to move it from one place to another.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm still waiting on somebody to build me an 8x15(and so is my chiropractor!)

8. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Skip the 8x15", go for the 8x18". Wow! That would weigh a ton!!!

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, but I bet I could get some serious booty with that baby! I'd probably need one of those new Peavey 3000 watt PA heads to drive it with though.. Or one of those 10,000 watt PA heads I read about on alt.bass one time.. I guess something like that would require 3 phase electricity..

BTW, I read somewhere one time about a 21 inch driver.. But I'm sure you'd need some 10's or something for mids and highs..

18's are too muddy for mains IMHO, you need some 10's to go with an 18.

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    an 8X15 or an 8X18 would be great if i had the money to run them with a head that could make use of all of that air moving. when my sister starts practicing hers on goes the 8X18 then the cops come cause the thing is so loud. that'd be nice.

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Man, ive played the Sunn 4x15 at BassNW. Lets just say, if it seems too good to be getting something the size of a 16x10 for $400, youre pretty damn correct.

Cam...nono, you wouldnt want it. Lets see, a 8x15 would be approx...550 pounds, at medium. The 8x18...jesus, i dont even want to think about it. Hehe, id pay to watch someone take it up stairs.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Back in the late 70's I remember a 30" driver, either a JBL or EV.

13. In "Back to the Future I" Michael J. Fox plays a 10 ft. speaker and blows it to hell, but the speaker doesn't really look very realistic.

Can I build someone an 8x18 or 32x10?

You know what? you wouldn't even need a lot of power to drive a cabinet like that. More speakers = higher efficiency. With an eficiency of 110 dB and 1000 watts of amp power, you'd get 140 dB. And an average of 115 dB in a 12m x 20m x 4m room.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The 30" looked huge... with a relatively small voice coil.

15. Back in the late 70's, sunn did make a 4x15 cab. They were in a folded horn configuration. Two on each side of the cab facing in towards the center, I believe. I still have 2 original sunn 2x15 cabs, but with JBL's & Black Widows. My sunn concert bass head & concert slave amp still work after all these years. I never take them out of the basement. Check my profile you'll see why!
    Later
    Chuck

16. i bet in real life that speaker would take like 3 full seconds to respond to what you play. check out his guitar in that scene, though- thank god the 80's are over!! :)

17. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    who needs delay when you have to wait so long for the speaker to reproduce the sound. If some was to make one of those that was more responsive like a standard 10-15 incher it'd be nice but really expensive. ok theres my opinion

18. I honestly don't know why you'd need to go bigger than an 18" nowadays.. Bag End makes a 2x18" that will respond down to 8hz (for anyone not up on frequencies..human hearing goes down only to 18-20hz or so, and open E on a bass is around 40hz).

On the other hand..it would look really cool to have 30" speakers........ when I'm famous and playing arenas (yea..riiiiight ;) ..) I'll have mockups of 30"s on stage just for looks.

19. dancinDaveNY

dancinDaveNY

Sep 27, 2001
    Western NY
    quite awhile ago, when Deep Purple with Ritchie Blackmore were popular and some keyboard players were putting their Hammond organs through big wattage amps, I met a keyboard player in L.A. that was into John Lord. She played through a 200 watt Marshall head into 2 4x15 Marshall cabs. It was massive, even for those days.
    dD

20. I've used 2 2x15 cabs a bunch back in the day. My 1st one was a Kustom 200 with 2 2x15 cabs with CTS speakers. The head was rated at 200 (very questionable) watts but all in all it was pretty loud. The best rig I ever used was a Sunn 2000S with 2 200S cabs. They had a pr of JBL D140's and the head put out about 200 TUBE watts. This thing would just about stop your heart if you were not careful.